108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multicast Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

Have Uploaded 2 wireshark captures (I didnt know how to export them as text).

One is ABtutor working as a broadcast, and One is it working as a multicast.

Thankd again Matt, your a champion.
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

This is multicast Capture. COuld only upload one attachment at a time.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yep, the udp forward-protocol listens for broadcasts on a given VLAN and then forwards it other VLANs. What you can do is set it to forward to an entire VLAN by using the broadcast address on that other VLAN.

So Master laptop on VLAN 1 - 10.0.1.1/24
Clients on VLAN 2 - 10.0.2.1/24
Clients on VLAN 3 - 10.0.3.1/24

conf
ip udp-bcast-forward
vlan 1
ip forward-protocol udp 10.0.2.255 5151
ip forward-protocol udp 10.0.3.255 5151

In the next classroom, Master laptop on VLAN 2:

Clients on VLAN 1 - 10.0.1.1/24
Master laptop on VLAN 2 - 10.0.2.1/24
Clients on VLAN 3 - 10.0.3.1/24

conf
vlan 2
ip forward-protocol udp 10.0.1.255 5151
ip forward-protocol udp 10.0.3.255 5151

I'd then try using the standard broadcast option in the application (not the multicast).

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the captures. I'm confident that using the udp forward-protocol using the broadcast method those packets will reach the clients. What I'm not sure of is how the clients send return traffic back to the Master.

I can also see in the second capture that it is definitely using multicast, so really you would need the premium edge license to route that if the first method doesn't work out.

If you have a 5300 somewhere you may be able to get that to be your multicast router (comes included) on the same network, but would need some creative thinking to get them to coexist.
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

your a legend matt. I owe you about a carton by now....

The udp broadcast-forward did the trick.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Always a pleasure. I saved you about 100 cartons worth alone on that premium edge license! I'll never make a good salesman.

Just glad to see you're making the most out of your original investment there. It's great to see the benefits you get with ProCurve, new features coming out for free all the time that often come in very handy down the track.

I'm sure that when you do need any upgrades to your network you'll know which vendor to stick with. That's worth more than a few premium edge licenses to HP.