6195 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multicast on Procurve 2650

LucaLu
Frequent Advisor

Multicast on Procurve 2650

Hi,
I'm using 2824 and 2650 with multicast traffic.
I have a problem only with 2650 because it "floods unjoined multicast traffic to all ports" as described on "Advanced Traffic Management Guide" pag 4-15 tab 4.3.
This is a strange situation because if there are not clients connected on 2650 that join the multicast, this traffic floods to all ports of 2650; should be "no join = no traffic to port"?!
I need help like a work around or a solution.
Luca
2 REPLIES 2
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

With the 2600 series it does not support data-driven IGMP like the 2800 series do.

I have two recommendations for you.

1. Ensure the 2824 becomes the Querier (or some other data-driven switch.

2. Connect your heavy multicast-sources to a data-driven switch.

Since the multicast-source traffic is on a data-driven switch, it will not flood.

If you must connect multicast-sources to an IGMP snooping only switch such as the 2600, one possible workaround is to use source-port filtering so that each port can only talk to the uplink port. This will prevent flooding within the 2600 itself, but depending on your needs this workaround may not be suitable.
LucaLu
Frequent Advisor

Matt, many thanks for your response.
I understand, there are no specific solution for 2600 because it has not this capability, port filtering workaround excluded.
So if I connect my multicast source to 2800 and a multicast client to 2600 (2800 and 2600 interconnected), traffic should be ok; if client unjoin the multicast traffic should stop on 2600 because 2800 will not forward it to the interlink.
I will try this as soon as possible.
Luca