108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multicast routing (PIM-DM)

IT_7
Advisor

Multicast routing (PIM-DM)

Hi there,

I really need your help on this!

I have 4 5372XL connected in a star topology. The hub in this setup takes care of all routing/ACLs/multicast routing etc.

I've configured one of the end nodes with IGMP default settings. Then I've added the hub 5300 as a default gateway. There is no routing enabled on the end switches.

On the hub 5300 I've enabled PIM-DM default settings on 2 different VLANs along with IGMP (which should be able to co-operate). Routing is also enabled on this box, but there is no routing protocol running other than the PIM-DM.

Then I've connected a multicast client on one of the end nodes in one of the VLANs, and a server on a different VLAN on the hub 5300. But they are not able to connect to eachother! What could be wrong?

Thank you very much in advance,
Rasmus T.
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Did you sniff on both ends. On the originating end, did you see the subscribe?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
IT_7
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer.

No I haven't sniffed on the network at all. I used the show ip igmp command though, and saw the different multicast addresses from the different VLANs.

Rgds,
Rasmus
IT_7
Advisor

Hi,

I see the multicast groups on the different VLANs when running the "show ip igmp" command.

But how do I make a Multicast traverse from one VLAN on the switch to another? Shouldn't it be done automatically when I've enabled multicast routing, regular routing and PIM-DM?
Or do I need to enable a router protocol like RIP or OSPF? In the ProCurve documentation it is stated that PIM-DM works with RIP, OSPF AND Staic routes. Do I need to add some multicast addresses in a static route?