5141 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple VLAN's throug 1 port

Juanjo_1
Frequent Advisor

Multiple VLAN's throug 1 port

Hi everybody,

I'd like to configure the port of the switch (HP 2626) which I've plugged my laptop to receive the traffic of all the VLAN's defined in the switch.

In such a way the port of the switch were not configured as tagged and my computer could receive the traffic of all the VLAN's simply defining an IP of each range.

Could be possible this or is a nonesense? The idea is not to work with virtual interfaces in my laptop.

Thank you,
4 REPLIES 4
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I think you're right in saying it's nonsense :)
There's no way of doing it without having VLANs tagged on switch interface that is connected to your computer.
You would need a network card with a driver that understands tagged VLANs for this to work (I believe the Intel desktop chipsets can do this).
Drew Redman
Valued Contributor

You could bridge your vlans (connect untagged vlan 1 port to untagged vlan 2 port). Do this for each vlan.

This will use up several ports, however (depending on how many vlans you have). It also defeats the purpose of vlans because it creates one giant broadcast domain, but technically it would allow you to do what you want to do.
GhostDog
Advisor

Why worry? Use linux on your laptop and you would be able to configure any number of vlans to operate, including GARP to simplify switch configuration. :)
Juanjo_1
Frequent Advisor

Thank you.