1753479 Members
5618 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Multiple VLAN with Procurve 2810

Roy Kartadinata

Multiple VLAN with Procurve 2810

Hello all,

We have procurve 2810 and currently setup with 3 VLANs.

vlan 2 - 192.168.1.0/24
vlan 3 - 192.168.0.0/24
vlan 4 - 192.168.10.0/24 (through dhcp)

The problem we currently have is that, not all servers in each vlan can talk to each other but they are able to talk to the gateway just fine. The same goes with vlan 4, all servers but 3 are able to get IP address from dhcp server.

Another wierd issue is that, currently all ports are set for auto but there are some using MDI mode and some using MDIX. All cables are premade cat 6 and none should be cross cable.

Can anyone here help me solve these problems ?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
bergonz
Advisor

Re: Multiple VLAN with Procurve 2810

Are you sure that the servers have the correct default gateway defined? You can see it with "ipconfig /all" in windows, and with "netstat -an" in Unix/Linux.

I would also check thet there are no ACL's in the gateway that might block traffic from those particular servers having the problem.

As for MDI/MDIX, I would like to hear from someone more expert, but I believe that since many servers have NICs able to do the very same autodetection, connecting an autodetecting switch with an autodetecting server can very well give unpredictable, but working, polarity.

Regards,
Bergonz
Roy Kartadinata

All servers have no problem connecting to outside. The problem is interconnect between servers in the same VLAN.

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

It is a good practice to assign STATIC IPs to the servers and router interfaces (not have them get the IP from DHCP), so that they do not lose it after the DHCP lease expires.
bergonz
Advisor

What you are describing is really weird. I think you might try:

- Checking that all ports connected to the servers are untagged

- Changing switch ports, in order to see if there is some hardware problem with the ports

- Checking that traffic is not being blocked by the firewall embedded in the server's OS

- Posting the configuration of the switch to this forum.

- Logging into a problematic server (shell if Unix, CMD if windows), ping nearby servers and gateway, doing "arp -a" on windows or "arp -an" on unix, "netstat -rn", and cut/paste the whole session here in the forum.

Good luck,
Bergonz