cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Vlans on 3400cl?

Alex Jauch
Occasional Visitor

Multiple Vlans on 3400cl?

I'm trying to configure a host to live on two v-lans at once. Reading the documentation, it appears that I should use the "tagged" function and tag it for both vlan-1 and vlan-2. When I do that, the host can not see either v-lan. If I use "untagged" for either vlan-1 or vlan-2, the host can see that vlan.

Each v-lan has a separate IP subnet associated with it, but the host has two IP addresses. I'm assuming that's not the issue here.

Any guidance for me?

Alex
3 REPLIES
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Multiple Vlans on 3400cl?

If you want a host to be in 2 VLANs at once, you have two options.

1. Have 2 NIC's, with 1 IP address each. On the switch those ports would be untagged on each VLAN.

2. Have 1 NIC's and configure VLANs on that NIC. This may or may not be possible depending on your network card. Servers can use tools such as Intel ProSet to perform this. Once VLANs have been configured on the NIC you will usually see 2 virtual NIC's that you need to configure those IP addresses on again. On the switch port it will be tagged on both of these VLANs (one could be untagged if you really wanted).
Alex Jauch
Occasional Visitor

So, does that imply that the "untagged" setting means that the server (or the NIC) has to tag the ports? Is that the difference between "Tagged" and "untagged"?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Tagged VLANs are required when you need to allow more than 1 VLAN over a single link. You can only have one untagged VLAN per port.

When setting VLANs, both devices need to match VLAN ID's and tagging status.

So in this case, if you had VLAN 11 and 22 both tagged on the switch - then it would need to be configured the same on the server.

Alternatively you could have VLAN 1 untagged, and VLAN 2 tagged... and do likewise on the server.