108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NC3134 Network Configuration Utility & Windows XP Pro

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike_266

NC3134 Network Configuration Utility & Windows XP Pro

Hi,

I have an older NC3134 64bit 66MHz dual 10/100 NIC on dual Athlon MP server board. Unfortunately I only have Windows XP Pro SP2 right now but would like to use the Network Configuration Utility to enable load balancing and teaming if possible. When I try to install the version for Windows Server 2003 it attempts to but fails. The setup log shows:

Setup Session Beginning 5/21/2005 - 19:35:14 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Command Line Parameters Given:

Beginning Interactive Session...

Name: HP Network Configuration Utility for Windows Server 2003
New Version: 8.0.0.0

The software is not installed on this system, but is supported for
installation.

A system error occurred while trying to install the HP Network
Configuration Utility component.

The operation was not successful.

End Session

Is there any way to get the network configuration utility to install?

thanks for any tips.
8 REPLIES 8
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mike,
I'm afraid you can't install software designed for windows 2k3 on any kind of machine running windows xp.
Windows xp can merely execute software for windows 9x and windows 2000.
You have to find version for win2k of your utility.

Good Luck.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Mike_266

Thanks for the response.

Your suggestion is what I initially tried. The full sequence of events were:

1- install NIC. WinXP Pro found it and install some default drivers. Result: two network connections and active.

2- Found HP website for the NC3134. They list the driver and network configuration utility for Win 2000 and 2003 Server. Downloaded all versions.

3- Tried to install the Win2K network config utility. It complained that I didn't have the appropriate drivers installed.

4- Tried to install the Win2K drivers and got a incompatibility warning from the installer, which then wouldn't complete the install.

5- Installed the Win 2003 Server drivers successfully. Verified in Device Manager that they actually updated.

6- Tried to install Win 2003 Server network config utility. Got the failure message above, which indicates it should work, but then fails.

7- Tried to install Win2K network config, it won't install due to incompatibility with the OS.

8- Tried to install the Win2K network config using WinXP compatibility mode set to Win2K. It starts to install then fails just like the Win 2003 server version.

Looks like I'll need to upgrade to Win 2003 Server if I want this capability.

thanks,

Mike
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Mhm,
I'm dubt how to solve :-?
I think you have to use win2k utility; before installing declare it as win2k application (right click, compatibility mode). Usually, compatibility mode doesn't work for installation software but you can try.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Mike_266

Yes, I tried compatibility mode in step 8 above. Thanks anyway...
Spiros Palaslis
Solution

Mike,

I too faced the same problem as you trying to get the HP Network Configuration Utility to install on Windows XP without any success.

I have however found a solution to our problem. Since a lot of HP NICs are based on Broadcom (not sure about yours) I was able to get Broadcom's Advanced Control Suite 2 version 7.86.0.0 to recognize the NICs and do teaming with them.

I hope this puts you in the right direction and helps you. Do let us know what the outcome is. :-)

Regards,
Spiros.
Spiros Palaslis

Mike,

I forgot to mention that in order for the Broadcom Utility to work you also need to source the correct broadcom driver for the chipset of that NIC.

Regards,
Spiros.
Mike_266

Thanks folks for the help. I've long since moved on past this issue so will close the thread now that there appears to a be valid approach posted to my problem.
Mike_266

Spiro's suggestion would appear to be a good approach.