5254 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need Advice

Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

Need Advice

Hi

I have been getting CRC (network) Errors from our Netware6 server.

I was just wondering how bad is this error was. I know what I need to do to try and fix it, but im not too sure as to how bad these CRC errors are. I get about 6-8 of them through out the day. NIC settings are 100/FDx and Switch port settings are 100/FDx. I havent changed cables yet, but I will. Can anyone tell me how severe this is.

text file attached.
4 REPLIES 4
Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

Re: Need Advice

Oh yeah this is a HP Procurve 4000M Switch with the latest Firmware update.

-Travis
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

according to your CRC / on total RX/TX rate, it's not that bad seemingly, as long as your packets are re-transmitted thenafter. But 0.001% error rate is acceptable, even if you are right to try to fix it.

HTH
J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You might double check the other side of the circuit for its duplex setting. You normally get FCS errors when the other side is set to half duplex and your side is set to full duplex. The other side starts to send but right after it starts your side sends something so it thinks it is a collision so it stops sending. The resulting packet is received on your end but it's missing some bits so the checksum fails.

Of course, that's not the only possibility. Could be a bad cable, a bad NIC, a bad switch port, or a bad driver.

As the other poster said it's not that bad so you can live with it if you have to. The packets will be resent.

Ron
Travis Krampy
Occasional Advisor

When you say "The other side" do you mean the computer requesting data from the server or do you mean the port on the switch?

I double checked that the switch port is set to 100/FDx and the Netware server is set to 100/FDx.

Now I have noticed that there is a computer on the network that is having about the same amount of CRC errors. Only at different times.

I did change NIC's, Cables, and switch ports. I also made sure that it is running at 100/FDx on the switch and NIC. Nothing helped for that computer. Im thinking that it may be the cable run.

Thank you

-Travis