Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753716 Members
4564 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need input on my network design for K-12 (L2, L3, OSPF,etc...)

Cajuntank
Occasional Contributor

Need input on my network design for K-12 (L2, L3, OSPF,etc...)

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on about 200K worth of Procurve switches for one of my school campus sites and my central office. I'm using the 5400 series switches with some 2600's for my lower port density wiring closets. At my larger campus site I have 4 schools that will be connecting to each other via a fiber loop which I will run through the 5400's at 10GbE. Each of those 5400's will have the OSPF premium license and maintain their own routed VLANs (VLAN1, Data, Voice, Guest) at each school and all be part of one OSPF Area "some arbitrary number". I will then have a DS3 circuit and router managed by AT&T for my private WAN connection along with a Sonicwall Pro series appliance (also will use the HP Immunity Manager software for threat management) for a ISP failover/VPN to cable (will not go through Sonicwall to get to DS3, again, private WAN). My thoughts are to have those two "off-net" ports (1 to router, 1 to Sonicwall) from one of my 5400's to be on a different routed subnet and thus put into a OSPF Area 0. I will have 5 other sites like this model and have their "off-net" ports also in Area 0 so that the Area 0 is the only routes propogated across both the private WAN and failover VPN. I know I will have to get AT&T to redistribute those OSPF routes through BGP (that's all they will use), but I don't see that a problem. Any additional thoughts, ideas, or input?
2 REPLIES 2
DaGuru
Trusted Contributor

Hi Cajuntank,

With all that you have going on, you might consider using the ProCurve Network Design Center.

Now, I'm not saying that the forum is a bad place to ask for design assistance, but you have a big project on your hands and the kind of support you would get from a team dedicated to these kinds of questions is a wiser path to follow.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/design_center/index.htm
---------------------------------------------
I work for HP, but my posts and replies are my own.
Cajuntank
Occasional Contributor

Tried that already, when I called, I was told that they did more "here's the part numbers and quantities your going to need" type support.