Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions. HP ProCurve Secure Router 7203dl (J8753A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
groque
Frequent Advisor

Need opinions. HP ProCurve Secure Router 7203dl (J8753A)

Hi all,

Does anybody on this form use the 7203dl as their primary/secondary gateway. I am about to purchase 2910AL(s) and I need a device which would NAT, Route, Provide Site-to-Site/Remote VPN(s), DMZ, Firewall/IPS basically all the good stuff.

My main concern is that I need to be able to route RIP/OSPF over an IPSEC tunnel. I know this can do GRE but can it do GRE over IPSEC?

If anybody here has this router please let me know what you think I am highly considering an all HP branch solution.

And one more thing if I have a gigabit links internally would a 100MB link to my gateway would that cause a bottleneck in my network design.

Thanks for the responses

Cheers
3 REPLIES
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: Need opinions. HP ProCurve Secure Router 7203dl (J8753A)

That is exactly what the product was designed for, branch office. Yes, once you have created a VPN tunnel, you can configure GRE and run OSPF on top of that.

I would let the 2910 do the inter-vlan routing (no bottle neck) and let the 7203 do the routing to the internet. Static default route from the 2910 to the 7203. Do you actually need a dyncamic routing protocol? Looks like the 7203 is the only way out anyway....
Holger Hasenaug
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Attached is a configuration I once did running OSPF over an GRE/IPSec tunnel between two ProCurve 7102dl routers.

Have fun
groque
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the config I am looking forward to testing this unit.

Cheers all