108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network disconnects.

SOLVED
Go to solution
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

If you have Intel NICs, and your J4818A doesn't have F.05.14, then you're in trouble. Also this f/w solves A LOT of half duplex problems. I attached the release notes for the f/w - maybe this will determine you to go install the new f/w.

The nasty thing is that you have to go near the switch and plug a serial cable from a laptop to the "Download Port" of the switch - since you can't reach it by telnet.

Today I received my 2 J4818A machines - I will experiment a little with them and then call you back.
noka
Frequent Advisor

The PC's in question (VL400) have 3COM onboard NICs. We do have some other systems with VL420 and Intel NIC's, so thanks for the warning. We will try the switch firmware update anyway (soon I hope).

Our connectons are intended to run 100Mbps, full-duplex, so we set our server and PC NIC advanced properties to "auto", or in some cases "hardware default" (but I'm not sure exactly what that setting means). All this is specified by our R&D group.
Measure twice, cut once.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

OK!

1. I first had to solve the problem with the COM1 port on my HP Vectra. The port was blocked in BIOS by some security setting (check out the "COM Ports" topic that I posted on the Switches thread for the solution of hidden COM ports.

2. I managed to download the F.05.15 f/w to my J4818A machine. Previously it had version F.04.08 installed - so you REALLY need to do the f/w upgrade.

3. Here's how, if you're using a Windows laptop with COM1 port enabled:
3.1 Start >Programs >Accessories >Communications >HyperTerminal
3.2 Cancel the "Connection Description" window that pops up
3.3 Press the righmost button (Properties) on the toolbar of the window "New Connection - HyperTerminal". The Status bar of the active window says: Disconnected | Auto detect | Auto detect
3.4 "New Connection Properties" window pops up. On the "Connect using:" drop down list, select "COM1", then press "Configure..." button
3.5 "COM1 Properties" window pops up. Select "115200" on the "Bits per second" drop down list, select "None" on the "Flow control" drop down list. OK twice.
3.6 Press [Enter] twice on the HiperTerminal window. A copyright text should appear in maximum 5 seconds. If it does not, close the HyperTerminal on the laptop, unpower the switch (some users might phone you at this step), power it back again to reset it, and redo steps 3.1 to 3.6 until you get the copyright message.
3.7 The prompt "HP ProCurve Switch 2324#" appeared. press "?" to get the help on the 3 commands available.
3.8 Type "download" and press [Enter] twice
3.9 Mouse "Transfer/Send file..." on the Menu bar
3.10 Choose "Xmodem" in Protocol drop down and then browse for the Filename F_05_14.swi on your HDD. Press "Send" button.
3.11 In maximum 5 seconds you should have transmission numbers rolling on the new poped-up window.
3.12 I you don't, then you hit "Cancel", type "Exit" at the switch prompt, and redo steps 3.6 to 3.11 - ONLY if you are still reading this rather lenghty procedure.

PS: C'mon noka, assign me some points: I want to catch up with Ron and Arimo :-)))). You must be logged on the site to do that.

Cheers!
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

<>

1. Most probably you've setup the NICs' "Duplex Mode" to "Hardware Default" (usually, it also has "Full Duplex" and "Half Duplex" options - to avoid the autonegotiation of the duplex mode) and "Media Type" to "Auto Select" (usually, it also has "100BaseTx" and "10BaseTx" options - to avoid the autonegotiation of the link speed). But for the Autonegotiation to operate, you HAVE TO set the NICs and any managed switch to "Flow Control" = "Enabled". For J4818A, the flow control is enabled by default - don't forget to enable it on the NICs

2. If you plug a NIC to ANY hub you will not have "Full Duplex" mode (send and receive data simultaneously), even if the hub allows a speed of 100 Mbps (is 100BaseTx capable); this mode is only available for devices connected through a switch. SO:
2.1 plug all your servers in a switch if you want full duplex for the servers
2.2 if you plug workstations into J3295A machines, they will only run at "Half Duplex" (send data and only then receive data); plug any heavy duty workstation (yours, for instance) into the switch.
2.3 there is no point in having network printers (receive-only devices)on a switch - they can do well on hubs
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Since your Win2K box says the network adaptor has been disconnected from the network and the network adaptor is connected to the hub and not the switch there should be no need to worry about the switch. Instead we need to worry about the direct link between the Win2K box and the hub.

This link has to be either 10 half or 100 half since that is all that the hub supports. If the NIC is set to 10 Full or 100 Full it will cause all sorts of problems so the first thing would be to verify what speed the NIC is running.

Generally you can do this in Win2K by Start/Settings/Network and Dialup Connections/Local Area Connections/Properties/

It should have a line about: Connect Using ..adaptor.

Make sure it is showing the one going to the hub if you have more than one. Now hit Configure. Usually with a modern NIC (or at least with one of the newer drivers) you will see either an indication of the speed and duplex on the General Page or a Details button which will show you what it is running at. If you don't see anything then you can at least check to see what it is set to do by going to Advanced. Usually there will be a list of features and you highlight the one you want and it will show what it is set at and allow you to set it differently. Verify that it is not set at FULL duplex.

Now Select the Driver tab and wait until it comes up withe the driver info. Note the maker, name and version number. For a built in Network Adaptor go to the PC maker's site and look for a new driver. For a separate card go to the card maker's site and see if there is a new driver. Install the new driver and see if that helps.

Also replace or test the cable, verify that the hub power is not going on and off and replace the hub with a different one or if you have the management interface on your hub you can check its status and log to see if you see anything.

What OS do the Vectras run?

Ron

noka
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ron,
Thanks for reply but slight misunderstanding. There is no hub anymore, just ProCurve 2324 (J4818A) switches. PC's are set to auto (or 'hardware default' - some setting in NIC properties that I'm not sure about but I suspect it is same as 'auto'). Vectra VL400's and LC2000 run Win2000 SP2.

Rgds,
Norm
Measure twice, cut once.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

You said in your second post that the VL400's were connected to hubs. Since they exhibit the same symptoms it seems unlikely that the switch is to blame. However, it does not appear that the hubs are at fault either since you have other PCs connected directly to the switch.

SP3 has been out for quite a while, is quite stable and it fixes all sorts of nasties so it is time to bite the bullet and put it on everywhere. That appears to be one thing which is common to all of your boxes with problems so it is high on the list of probabilities.

Also 3Com has a really neat driver for their NICs. It give you all sorts of information and diagnostics and may fix a few problems. If you don't have their latest driver get it. (If the network interface is built in you have to get it from the PC maker). When you select the adapter and click on Configure it should come up with a display which shows you what duplex and speed you are running.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your switch software as others have recommended but I don't think it will solve your current problem.

Ron
noka
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading switch firmware for the three J4818A (ProCurve 2324) to F.05.14 appeared to stabilize the system.

Q: The three switches had older (and varying) firmware rev's. Must firmware of all switches be matched or different rev's be tolerated?
Measure twice, cut once.
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi again.

Differences in firmware revisions are tolerated, but for other reasons it's advisable to update them to the latest versions. Software download address is www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm.

As for problems with console connection... dump Hyperterminal and go for TTPro instead, freeware and works with default settings with all HP Networking devices

Direct DL address http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/ttermp23.zip, homepage http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html.

Has extensions for SSH and SSL as well - and no, you don't have to install that japanese font :-)

Arimo
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor