Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network printing problem.....Help needed please

subseauk
Occasional Visitor

Network printing problem.....Help needed please

Hi
I have a similar problem, i have been "given" an HP 2500CM with 20Mb memory and a network card installed.
First thoughts were great, now i can have a good printer that is not reliant on any one pc being on as i can connect it to my Linksys WRT54G 4port/Wireless Router.
I use about 3 PC with XPHome and 1 MacMini with OS X Tiger 10.4.4 which all work together fine over the network.
I plugged in the printer etc did all what i think should be done but to no avail. the diagnostic print out gives a MAC address and IO Address for the printer but i can't get anything to find the thing let alone print to it!!!!
ARGHHHHH!!!!!
Can anyone help or do i just chuck a £1000+ printer on the scrap heap?

Rgds
Kev
5 REPLIES
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Network printing problem.....Help needed please

Kev,

Doesn't it print out the IP address? "Who" on your network is the DHCP server? Is there a "broadband router" on your network that is configuring the IP parameters for your 3 x PC & 1 x Mac?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
subseauk
Occasional Visitor

Hi
I'm not Fantasic with networks but basically there is no "server" as such its just a Linksys WRT54G router as the hub for all the PCs and the Mac to connect to the internet through and file share with each other.
The print out of the printer config does give an IP and Mac address but i cannot even get a ping to it.
One thing that has crossed my mind is whether i need to be using a cross over network cable from the printer to the router?
Rgds
Kev

Not sure about the DCHP bit, i know there is a section in the router but it starts getting a bit deep for me!
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

What is the IP address of the printer and what is the IP address of one of your PC?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
subseauk
Occasional Visitor

Hi
posted to a couple of other forums and got some help from a guy called Greg. excellent fellow, pretty much sorted out the communication problem so now the printer is printing from all
PCs.
what i would like to do now is go further by accessing all the utilities like ink level check and choosing paper trays etc.
Any thoughts?
Rgds
Kev
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

This is the networking forum, you might want to try the printer forum?