Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751735 Members
6202 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Networking to printer won't work...why?

Brenda Lowe
Occasional Advisor

Networking to printer won't work...why?

On the DHCP it shows the printer(192.168.1.104 NPI304488.domainname.com), but I just can't ping it from my PC. I can ping some of the PCs but not others here in the office. Is that because they are on a different router? How can I share the printer? Pretty much I am lost. Please help! Thanks for your time!
6 REPLIES 6
selkirk_1

Try double-checking the IP gateway on the printer. It may be set incorrectly.
Brenda Lowe
Occasional Advisor

I have printed the configuration page and it gives me this:

Def Gateway: 192.168.1.12
IP Address: 192.168.1.104

I setup the printer for the default gateway(server) and it worked. But from the PCs in the office, it won't work. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
Brenda Lowe
Occasional Advisor

Does the printer need to be shared? It will print from the default gateway (server 192.168.1.12), but I can't connect from my PC. Any ideas?
Brenda Lowe
Occasional Advisor

How do I know what the default gateway is supposed to be?
Brenda Lowe
Occasional Advisor

Sorry I am replying so much. So I read somewhere that my hub needs to be printer ready. True? I can I check that? Really I just think it is something that is blocking it because it would print from the server. Anyway, I am still lost. Thanks!
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

What is the DG of the other computers? What is the subnet mask? The printer should have the same DG and mask as the other computers if it is in the same subnet.

Your inability to ping some but not all PCs may or may not be related to DG or mask but instead may be due to firewall settings.

What is there for subnets and routers?