Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1752284 Members
4626 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Networking

qim

Networking

I have a desktop on 98SE connected to an HP Deskjet 6122, and to a router which is in turn connected to cable internet.

I also have a laptop on XP connected through RJ45 cable to the router.

I am having problems with Word2000 from the XP which is due to the printer drivers.

I cannot find anywhere info on which drivers I need for this type of set-up.

Help...

qim
20 REPLIES 20
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Not sure if I understood exactly your problem...
The drivers for your printer are available in ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/COL1674/dj-8375-2/6122_ptb_win2k_xp.exe

But does your router have network capabilities? Can you ping the desktop from the XP? If you can, you should be able to install the networked printer on XP with the above mentioned drivers. If not, you cannot use it from the laptop. Does your problem happens when the router (or the desktop) is not powered on? If so you can avoid it by installing a "dumb" printer on XP stating that it can be used offline.
Hope this helps.
qim

Hp Portugal told me that the Deskjet 6122 does not support networking.

However, it does work 99% of the time from either of my two computers conncted through a 4 port router.

The router also enables me to have access to the internet from either computer.

The problem is that Word2002 is giving me problems and MS directs me to a web page that says the problem is with the HP printer driver.

The driver in the Desktop was installed as part of the original printer installation while on the XP I followed the "Assistente de Configura├Г┬з├Г┬гo de rede".

As for your other questions the router and the PC is always powered on, 24 hours a day.

I am not sure how to ping one computer from the other.

The webpage is suggested is not acceesible, at the moment anyway.

Obrigado
Bob Mitchell_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Qim

Can you print from the 98 machine ok?
Have you previously been able to network print to this printer, maybe under a different opperating system?

Accordiong to HP's site http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF06a/18972-236251-236261-14438-236261-88749.html Listed under
Connectivity, Optional. This is what is listed as a network device.
HP Jetdirect 175x External USB Ethernet Print Server J6035A, HP Jetdirect wp380 server J6061A, HP Jetdirect 170x External Parallel Ethernet Print Server J3258BHP Wireless Print Server wp110 (802.11b) J6062A, MPI Tech Bluetooth adaptors

It appears that the 6122 is not directly networkable as a printer on a remote computer ie your XP machine.

You might want to invest in a print server, either HP's one or similar. Make sure that the print server conects via RJ45 plugs to connect to one of the ports on the router. Naturally the router and print server will need to be powered up to work.

Give your local distributor or HP Portugal a call to discuss.

Merry Christmas

Bob
qim

Can you print from the 98 machine ok?

Yes I can, although often a message comes up regarding a problem with some port but I try again and always works second time.

Have you previously been able to network print to this printer, maybe under a different opperating system?

I have always used these operating systems and I can print from both computers without any problem, other than it is very slow from the remote XP. As I said the main problem is not so much with the printing but with the drivers being disliked by Word2002, and MS telling me to sort it out with HP.

It appears that the 6122 is not directly networkable as a printer on a remote computer ie your XP machine.

But the fact is that it does work!!!

You might want to invest in a print server, either HP's one or similar. Make sure that the print server conects via RJ45 plugs to connect to one of the ports on the router. Naturally the router and print server will need to be powered up to work.

I believe my touter works as a print server. ( Eminent Broadband Router"

Give your local distributor or HP Portugal a call to discuss.

HP Portugal knows less than I do...

Merry Christmas

And to you to.

qim

ranthony2cfl.rr.com
Regular Advisor

As a workaround (not a fix): Why not just copy or move the file to be printed from the laptop to the desktop? Then let your regular printing from the 98SE take it from there.

I had a similar problem from an IBM laptop running W95 and an IBM NetVista running W2K/AS to my HP PSC500 that was installed on a Compaq running W98. HP said the PSC500 was not intended to be networked. The laptop resolved by just installing the HP's drivers on it. The W2K finally resolved once HP made PSC500 drivers available for W2K (about 6 months later) -- however, I did get a partial resolution from HP before that(able to use print but not scan), by installing a 'generic' driver which they recommended on the W2K.
vitam largo et Deus omnipotens
qim

Well, I guess the first thing is to find out what drivers I have installed.

And I'm afraid I don't know where to look...

Can you help?

thanks

qim
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

See if XP will let you install the printer locally. Then it will have the driver files it needs to use the printer on the 98.

Ron
qim

Hello Ron

But how can I check what drivers are installed right now?

qim
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Olla Gim.

Se voc├Г┬к n├Г┬гo resolver seu problema, alguma coisa simples a fazer aqui que pode ajudar em a maioria de caso!

You need to have the latest driver for you printer, no matter witch one you have installed. Just overwrite...

Go to www.hp.com. Click on support and Drivers. In there, click on download driver and write the type/model of your printer. Next you will have to chose the Windows XP driver. Afther this download the apropriate software depend if its USB or Parallel cable.

Plug the printer direcly on your laptop. We put network beside for the first test.
Install the driver on you laptop and do a print test with Word. If its printing ok, you could plug it again into network.

If its not working, I suggest 2 things. Buy an HP Jet Direct print server(if you have the money!) or put your computer in Win2000 pro. Sometime Win XP not working good! Other wise, change your printer to a network printer. There are some that are not to expensive. Depend of your budget and your need!

But the best wait to do it if you dont have time and money to spend on this, just send your files to print to your desktop as sed earlier.