1748338 Members
4018 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Networking

STEVEN LEE_12
Frequent Advisor

There setup you described is very common for a SOHO network to cut down the cost of sharing devices. You wanted to print from the XP laptop onto the hp Deksjet 6122 which is connected to the 98SE PC.

I assume that the laptop and Pc are properly connected in a network and can "talk" to each other via the router. It does not matter that the printer is not networkable since you are attaching it to the PC and not directly to the network.

First enable sharing of the printer on the PC. Select "Settings" at the Start menu and click "Printers". Select the printer, right-click and click on "Sharing..." Enable sharing and give a name to the printer, eg "hp6122". If the printer is not shared, you cannot print from another computer.

Install the correct Printer Driver on the laptop. The file 6122_enu_win2k_xp.exe can be downloaded from hp's website if you do not have it. You do not need any other special drivers.

After successfully installing the Printer Driver, add a printer on the laptop. Choose to add a "network" printer, browse the network and find the name of shared printer which you just created on the PC. Once this is done, you should be able to print from the laptop onto the printer.

If you have multiple 6122 printer selections installed on the laptop, delete all and keep only the printer you just created as not to confuse yourself later which printer selection actually works.
qim_1
Advisor

Hello Steven

Thank you for your very comprehensive reply.

Just one little point: on the laptop shall I select the sharing or not sharing?

At the moment I have not sharing. It seems to work ok, but I have problems with Word2002 that keeps crashing because it does not like the set-up.

What I have done is to use Word with a different local (non existent) printer and change over when I need to print.

As this was done only yesterday I am not sure if it is working well.

qim
STEVEN LEE_12
Frequent Advisor

You do not need to enable sharing of the printer on the laptop side because the printer is not connected directly to the laptop.

On the laptop, go to the Printers folder, select the Deskjet 6122, right click and "Set as Default Printer". This will send all print jobs from Word to the printer.

What do you mean When you say Word 2002 does not like the setup? The choice of printers should not affect Word. When Word crashes, what is the error message?
qim_1
Advisor

Hello Steven

Well.. I'va had the two computers running for over a year now. Very slowly, but they work, including the printer.

My big problem is that Word2002 which came with the XP laptop keeps crashing with a message MS Error Reporting, saying that it encountered an error and has to shut down. It then sends a report and often opens up an MS net page saying that the error has to do with the HP driver.

In January I tried to start all over again, but the problem persisted, even after I downloaded the latest drivers (or so I believe...)

In fact I would like to have yet another fresh clean, but I am having problems setting up a HomeOfficeNetwork in the XP. It goes to the stage where it seems to be transferring files (that's what the icon does) but stays there for ever, and does not reach the stage where it invites me to create a disk to use in the other computer.

Any help on the various queries welcome.

Qim
STEVEN LEE_12
Frequent Advisor

The problem may not be the Printer Driver at all. Windows has the nasty habit of misreporting errors.

Is your laptop from hp? Do you have other devices connected to the laptop that is from hp, eg external CD drive?
qim_1
Advisor

Hello Steven

Nope! The laptop is Toshiba. the only HP (other than sauce...) that I have is the printer.

The router is Emminent.

To have a fresh start and use all your instructions, I should like to get rid of the HomeOffice Configuration that I have on the laptop, but I am not sure what to do. I thought that deleting the icons in the Network (sorry my Xp is in Portuguese and I never know what the translation is on an English system)Before when things worked better I had 3 icons in the same line. Now that it works very slowly I have a 1394 icon and a bridge on top and the LAN icon in a second line.

Can I delete these icons somehow, and will that give me a clean slate to start all over again?

Thanks

qim
STEVEN LEE_12
Frequent Advisor

Before you do anything else, may be you can try uninstalling Word and reinstall Word.

Make sure you have the Installation CD before you uninstall. Otherwise you won't be able to reinstall Word.

The problem lies with Word, not the Printer Driver or the network.
qim_1
Advisor

Hello Steven

I have tried to do that once and it did not solve anything. (Apart from the fact that I had to call England and listen to a long taped speech before they gave me a number that enabled Word to work...)

If you have a chance please let me know how to get rid of the current (and any other) network configuration on the XP.

Thanks

qim
STEVEN LEE_12
Frequent Advisor

You need not have called England for the Activation Code because activation can be done online.

When you start Word after installation, it will prompt you to activate. Just choose to activate online.

You can delete all the icons in "My Network Places". Then add a network place again. Most of the time, XP will find all computers within the network by itself.

You should also delete all the icons in the Printers folder and add the hp printer again in the way I described in one of my previous replies.

Good luck!
qim_1
Advisor

Thanks Ste├В┬┤ven

I am going to try again.

I have just thought that the reason I could not delete the icons before was because the connection was on, which means that I may have to disconnect the laptop from the network before deleting the current configuration through the icons.

Thanks again for your patience.

q