1753797 Members
7628 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New Network

rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

New Network

Hi, we are reconfiguring a site and wanted to know if you could have a look at the attached doc and comment and if you think re design.

The network is a simply network consiting of the following:

1 network
1 Office
no vpn's
6 Servers
1 x HP 2824 (for Servers)
1 x HP 2848 (for Printers and clients)

We are trying to achive the fastest and most reliable using fallback links etc, i have been told to enable Spanning Tree and create some additionl links and set some costs and priorites however i'm lost, can you please comment and reccememend if possible.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Re: New Network

Hi,

I am unable to see your file properly,

I can see only 3 Switches - Cascaded together.

Both NIC of Servers going to Same switch.

I don't see this as a good one. Assume that you loose your bottom switch your server connectivity will go.

Also you are wasting more ports.

If I setup, I setup by configuring the Servers to be setup with thier Pripary NIC to one Switch and Secondary to Another switch. Don't bring users into the switch that server use.

Buy hub and connect 2 cables from each switch to hubs and extend LAN for your Users.

Hope you got my idea..

Chan

Server's NIC1 ---> Switch 1
Server's NIC2 ---> Switch 2

All users ----> HUB (Switch3)
1st Port of HUB ---> Switch 1
2nd Port of HUB ---> Switch 2

This will provide redundancy in the event of a switch failure.

Chan
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

What I would do is set the bottom switch as 'spanning-tree priority 0', and the next switch up (second bottom) as priority 1.. obviously enable spanning-tree on all of them.

Then from the top switch and the one under it, connect single links to the second bottom switch.

I would then put the servers second NIC on the second bottom switch.

That should give you a nice level of redundancy.

Don't forget to assign points to posts that have helped you.

How Do I Assign Points?
Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.

rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

Matt,

I like what your saying, anychance of a quick drawing to make it a little more clear for me.

Thanks
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Don't have my usual visio tools with me, I've attached a crude paint version.