1745788 Members
3957 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie - help with HP 2200d printer on a network

mtnbiker
Occasional Advisor

Newbie - help with HP 2200d printer on a network

Need some help - I am new to networking totally. I took over an old networked system and need to redo the network since the data ports were moved to a new location. I hoped it'd be plug and play. We had 5 computers printing off an HP 2200d before the move over. Now, I can't even get the main computer to print via the LAN.

I think the printer inout/output may be bad. This is what I know: Out of the computer LAN it goes to a switch. It has an 8 port Netgear switch. Where the LAN goes into the switch the LED is lit. The where the DSL plugs in, it's lit. Where the printer plugs in, it is not lit up. I have tried two different cables, many different ports (including the ones that light up for other devices). I am able to print on the printer directly using the USB or parallel connections bypassing the network.

I have installed and reinstalled the drivers. I have used the other HP disc to setup the network wihout success. The error comes up "can't find printer on this network".
I think the connection is bad, but I don't know how to prove it or isolate the cause. It was working before the move. Is there a way to tell if it is mechanical related to the printer's input/output? Should the LED light be light by the port for a printers connection? I am stuck and would appreciate any advise. Please keep it relatively simple. I have been reading up on pinging and such, but I think I need a more fundimental approach first. Thanks for your help!
9 REPLIES 9
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Apparently its not a hardware issue, but when you moved the IP addressing changed, so you have your PCs on different Subnet from the Printer.

What you can do, check the IP Addresses for the Computers, lets say 192.168.1.x, then check the Printer IP Address, and try to cha ge it to the same range/subnet (192.168.1.x).

Don't forget to assign points.
Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Have a look through the manual if you haven't already.

There is a section on Network Installation and another section on Network Printing Problems.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl10361/bpl10361.pdf

Otherwise I'd recommend you contact HP support or try posting in the printer forum:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=219
mtnbiker
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the responses. I will look at the manual.

As for the IP addresses and the other one you mentioned - how do I find those? I know in the manual for the printer it said to press the two buttons and it would print pages. It was supposed to be on page 2. It only printed 1 page.... (though on the inside of the book there are numbers written that are likely the address for the printer that whoever originally set it up wrote down)

Thanks for your further input. I will try to get the IP addresses tomorrow (if you tell me how) when I am at the system and post my results. Thanks again.
mtnbiker
Occasional Advisor

Oh yeah - should the LED light on the switch be lit up where the printer cable inserts? I would think that even if an IP address was messed up the the switch would register something with power attached to it....
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

For the Led on the Switch, once any device connects to the Switch and it has a Physical Link it will be lit.

To get the IP for your clients, open the command prompt in your Operating System and use the command ipconfig , you will get your IP and Mask and Gateway.

Compare the PC's IP and the Printer one, then try to change Printer's IP address to the same range.

Don't forget to assign points to all posts you get.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Since that second page is not printing and there is no link light, it sounds like the jetdirect card does have a problem. Maybe try reinserting it?
mtnbiker
Occasional Advisor

1 - OK, I'm a novice. So, I goto start > run > cmd > IPconfig?

2 - That will give me the info on what? All that the network sees?

3 - Also, even if the IP address is wrong. Why don't I get an LED lit when I physically plug the printer into the switch? (Netgear F5608 V2) If I use a USB windows recognizes it. Makes me wonder if the Network cable receptor at the Printer end is damaged.
Russ_57
Advisor

I agree with Matt, sounds like your JetDirect card may have come loose when you moved. The JetDitect card is the plug-in module that your network cable plugs into. It should have some thumb screws that hold it in place, I think. Just make sure yo turn off the printer and reseat the card. To eliminate any cabling issues, try moving your printer so you can plug the network cable directly from the printer to the switch. you should have a light on the switch. If not, make sure your cable is "straight thru" not a " cross over". You can tell by comparing the wire colors, they should match pin to pin. good luck.
mtnbiker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all. I tried rreseating it, cold restarting it, and yes, the cables match up so it is not a "crossover" type of cable. I vote for a bad JetDirect card. I will replace it and see what happens.