1752603 Members
5115 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Newbie in VLAN searches Basic-Documentation

Gunther Grelczak

Newbie in VLAN searches Basic-Documentation

Hi,

I have printed the management and configuration guide of our new ProCurve 2524 switches. I am new in VLAN and want to learn the basics about VLAN and how to work with VLAN. The guide is not really for beginners.

I successfully built two VLANs (VLAN1=1-12, VLAN2=13-24) on one switch and the same VLANS on the second switch. Now I want to connect both switches over port-25 (100Mbit FX).

default-\ /-- default

VLAN1 ---\ /--- VLAN1
--FX over port25--
VLAN2 ---/ \--- VLAN2

What have I to do now ?

Thank you for any ideas.
Regards,
Gunther Grelczak
4 REPLIES 4
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Re: Newbie in VLAN searches Basic-Documentation

Switch 1
conf t
vlan 1
untagged 25
vlan 2
tagged 25

switch 2
conf t
vlan 1
untagged 25
vlan 2
tagged 25

This will tag all data on vlan 2 passing over that port so it is seperate and able to transport over port 25
Gunther Grelczak

Thank you for this info.

Now I did the config in the this way (see attachment). It works, but is this absolutely correct ?
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

That is absolutely correct if you need the default VLAN over that port.

If you aren't using the default vlan, you can do no untagged 1-26, then untag stuff on vlan 1 or vlan2.

VLAN tagging between 802.1q complaint devices won't cause any trouble - the issue comes in when you want to plug, say, a server into a port and give all ports access to VLAN 1 and VLAN 2...if it wasn't compliant, you'd need to untag one of the VLANs so it could use it (and only the untagged vlan)

Only 1 vlan may be untagged per port on a switch.
Steve Picano

For beginers the simplest thing to remember is that Taged Ports should connect to other switches (or special Network adaptes that are VLan aware)and must be tagged on both devices, untaged ports conect to Servers, workstations or hubs.