108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Newbie question

SOLVED
Go to solution
LearningSmith
Occasional Contributor

Newbie question

In our production network we have the HP Pro Curve switches(switch 2524, 2824 and 5406zl).
Whenever any computer is not responding to PING, I want isolate that there no problem with the switch. How to do that? I have web access to the switch.
1. What are all way I can say confirmatively, that there is no problem with the switch.
2. When I run the tracrt or pathping command, why the switch IP is not appearing in the result?
Smith
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

switches are layer-2 devices, as long as they are not configured as router. A layer-2 device is not showing up in a ping or tracerroute. The IP, that is configured on the switch, is only for management purposes.

If you have a problem with a client you can check by web management if there is a problem with a port (CRC errors, frames errors, dropped packets etc.).

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

when the web-interface is reachable, the switch is oprating normal, your path to the switch is OK.
in the web-interface you can check if the port connected to the server is up/down
maybe you also have a "bandwith" display on thsi switch to see if packets are processed.