1748223 Members
4634 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Nic teaming settings with Procurve switches

daniel pangallo
Advisor

Nic teaming settings with Procurve switches

Do you think you could find out what the HP recommended NIC Adapter Team settings are? I have read a bunch of white papers and they don’t really specify what the settings should be, only what each setting does.
I normally leave them set to the default of Automatic (which is recommended). This setting is Transmit Load Balancing with Fault Tolerance.
We have 2 HP Procurve 4208’s trunked together. I would like to find some advice on what adapter settings go best with these Procurve switches.

thanks for my customer!

dan

2 REPLIES 2
RicN
Valued Contributor

Re: Nic teaming settings with Procurve switches

I am also very curious about this. Both how the server side should be configured and if I should use the HP-trunk or LACP method on the switches.
Kevin.Meany
Advisor

Re: Nic teaming settings with Procurve switches

There is a lot of it depends here based on what your NIC teaming software supports. For the NIC team setting ofSwitch Assisted Load Balancing those would generally be your ProCurve static trunk (trunk 20,21 trk1) For NIC teaming software supporting 802.3ad LACP you could use static LACP trunks (trunk 20,21 trk1 lacp) which exchange some trunking bpdu's to establish and monitor the state of the team/trunk. For switches that don't support any trunking at all then that would fall into Fault Tolerance with Transmit Load Balacing(TLB) or just Fault Tolerant Team. You could also do dynamic LACP trunks with LACP server NIC teams but you can't assign those into vlans easily without using GVRP so I find you are better staying with some time of statically defined trunk. The Automatic mode on NIC teaming sofwtare I have found will either end you up in an LACP trunk/team or TLB to a single switch, the other settings you have to do manually. If you try to team between 2 different switchs then you can only do TLB until the K14 code hits the streets, then you can do distributign trunking between 2 ProVision switches but that requires the teaming software supports LACP.

Kevin