Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748229 Members
3983 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Non-HP x2 / minigbic transceivers are not possible?

vwsport

Non-HP x2 / minigbic transceivers are not possible?

Hello,

I saw a posted dated back in 2006 about this, I was hoping there are updates / changes? We just purchased a 5410zl setup, with the 4 port x2 10gbe module, and from what I can see none of our existing hardware will work with it. On cisco's you could ignore the messages and still use it (or in this case we would use cisco gbics on hp). From what I can see all of the HP stuff is crazy over priced (far more than what we were paying for cisco x2 transceivers). Payig $2,500 for a single x2 transceiver seems ridiculous.

Anyhow, I just wanted to see if there are any options, if not I guess I will need to dump the idea of using HP's within our network. Thanks for your time!
5 REPLIES 5
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

I don't believe there's a way around the third party GBIC/transceiver issue (not if you want to be running the current firmware anyway).
What type of X2 transceivers are you using?

X2 transceivers from HP are indeed very expensive, and currently there is no way to use non genuine ones.

You migh however consider using SFP+ modules with much lower prices. For example SRP price for J9150A (10-GbE SR) is 1239,00E. It is also worth to notice that HP offers *very* nice discounts, so the final price should be much lower.
Andrew Zampariolo

It is possible. What kind of x2 were you looking to purchase?
Michael Pisarsky

Does anyone have any information on if you can force the switch to recognize the non-hp gbic? I have a handful of AO mini-gbics and I would hate to go out and buy all new gbics.

Thanks,
Mike.
Garrett b_1
Occasional Contributor

For what it's worth (and YMMV), I've been having no problems using non-hp SFP mini gbics with current firmware. I always just look for the ones that have an 'OEM compatible guarantee' such as Axiom J4858C-ax or even super cheap Add-On Computer J4859C-AO.
I'm running current FW on a 6200yl-24 and 3500yl-24G and both of the mentioned gbics are performing normally on my test bench.