Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to create trunk in 5400zl

Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

Not able to create trunk in 5400zl

Hi

we have been trying to make trunk working between or virtual nodes/storage and procurve 5400zl.

all we want from ths switch is to start with is few vlans with ports being trunked. this will be primarily for our storage area network.

Now we have created trunk like this
- Our virtual nodes have two ports bonding as a failover link (Virtual iron), EMC NS20 has two ports created as a one bond port.
- switch is configured with this command
(trunk a1,b23 trk1 trunk / trunk a1,b23 trk1 lacp).

Now we can't even boot our virtual nodes properly. even if we can after long time we can not access our storage. it can't even be pinged from same switch.

we were wondering if any one will be able to advice us and will be fully appreciated.

we have enabled flow control and jumbo grame.

Thank you
7 REPLIES
Niels Vejrup Pedersen
Respected Contributor

Re: Not able to create trunk in 5400zl

Hello,

You need to check if your equipment uses LACP or static trunks firstly.

The commands are correct.

Be aware that the ports vlan membership will be reset when adding them to a trunk, you need to set the vlan on TRK1 afterwards - that might be why you don't have any connection ?

Regards,
Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Thank you for your reply but doesn't matter what we setup trunk type as trunk/lacp, it doesn't work.

I was testing with removing ports from trunk group and making them LACP active and it seems that i can ping and connect for our virtual node's bonding but haven't tested with storage at.

i read little bit about LACP but i am not so sure how it will work in procurve 5400zl.

i will appreciate if some one can explain me little bit. such as how it is differnt than trunking?

Thank you
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

do i understand you are trying to connect SAN equipment over (normal) ethernet switches?

that won't work.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

sorry, please disregard previous post
I misread the info about hte ns20.

AUS Adam
Advisor

You need to run iSCSI on the NS20

Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the link

we have configured trunking with storage with following command

trunk a1,b1 trk1 lacp

Virtual nodes with following command

interface a2,b2 lacp (for all prots where virtual nodes are connected to).

Till now its working but still haven't quite understand second command. till now what i am understanding is switch just provides port which can be utilized and server side bonding is the one tells which port need to be bond/trunked to each other and this is dynamically managed.

will appreciate if you could add on to this.

Thank you