My switching environment is this:
~ HP ProCurves 4000M/8000M
~ HP ProCurves 4108GL
~ HP ProCurves 2524
~ HP ProCurves 2848
~ Cisco 3750 for Inter-VLAN routing
~ 50 unmanaged switches uplinked to ProCurves

I need a:
-> SIMPLE (i.e. low hardware requirements, but intelligently built -not dumb- easy to install and to use, as intuitive as possible, low time-consuming learning curve)
-> FREE (as in "free beer"; a 30-day trial would do for me right now)
-> SOFTWARE PRODUCT (for Linux or Windows)
that is capable to quickly do these management tasks for me, and be able to report the results nicely:

1. provide the ports of the managed switches where the unmanaged switches connect to ProCurves (one port per unmanaged switch)

2. provide CAM tables only for cooper ports of the managed switches (where the PCs, printers and servers connect), excluding the ports that I use for trunking. Report MAC, IP and Net_BIOS data for PCs, printers and servers; highlight the ports where printers and servers are connected in the managed switches.

3. provide CAM tables of the unmanaged switches (i.e. the MACs seen on the managed ProCurve ports functioning as downlinks for the unmanaged switches)

4. Identify the inter-switch links for the managed switches (for optical technology links as well as for copper trunks with 2 to 4 UTPs LACP-ed together)

5. provide me with information regarding copper ports that are probabily free (0-counters, DOWN status, switch uptime -for me to be able to determine the probability that a port is really free and does not have a MAC attached: it happened to often that I plugged somebody's PC only to findout in 2-days' time that somebody else was in vacation and I shamefully and idiotically disconnected her).

I need to prepare a report in 1 (ONE) day, that is TODAY!!!, with my Layer 2 topology, and my Layer 1 topology used for links between all my switches. I have to do Layer 1 by hand, but in the mean time I would like to have some software to dig for 1-3 hours into the switches an report me the data I need.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE

Dan
2 REPLIES 2
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: OSI Layer 2 management in HP ProCurve environment

Sorry for the redundancy of the threads
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: OSI Layer 2 management in HP ProCurve environment

BTW: how can I delete a thread of my own, to save space on your servers? as well as to save the time of the responding fellows that do take time to give valuable answers?