Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSPF and ACL in Procurve 3400

OSPF and ACL in Procurve 3400

I wonder if there is "anybody out there" who has been dealing with OSPF and ACL's in Procurve 3400 switches. My problem is that the switch stops reciving OSPF packets when I apply an ACL on an interface that participate in the OSPF routing domain. I believe that ACL's in 3400 doesn't support OSPF packets (there is no entry for like in 5300/5400). Do anybody knows any workaround for this?
5 REPLIES
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: OSPF and ACL in Procurve 3400

I actually ran into this problem yesterday. I didn't get time to test it out fully but what I think you can do is simply add the required OSPF multicast addresses to your ACL, 224.0.0.5 and 224.0.0.6, or add the entire multicast class to be permitted:

permit ip 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 224.0.0.0 31.255.255.255

I hope my subnet calculations are correct...
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I've tested it out now, seems to be working fine.

Will that work?? What about the fact that OSPF has a different IP Protocol Number than "normal" IP Packets!! or doesn't the switch care about that?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It's simply IP, the 3400's ACL's can't distinguish between the different IP protocol numbers so it allows them all.

OK, thank you for your answer. I will test this as soon as I get my hands on the network. I will keep in contact with you.
Kind regards,
Stefan Claesson