New Discussion юеВ

Re: OSPF and XRRP

MIBA NSD
Advisor

OSPF and XRRP

Hello!
i have 3 sites with 2 5308 per site.
they are connected as a ring.
i want to run xrrp in each site and OSPF between the sites(different IPs, traffic is routed).
but all i got is a big RSTP domain with a blocked wan link.
is it possible to block the RSTP traffic on the wan ports?

please help me.
peter
11 REPLIES 11
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

There seems to be missing pieces of the puzzle. xrrp and ospf are routing protocols and rstp is limited to broadcast and should not cross routers.

Are you routing or is this flat? (I know, you said routed)
MIBA NSD
Advisor

Yes it is routed!
It seems that the Hp Procurve 5308 is more a switch than a router and so it dont know where to stop beeing a switch and start beeing a router.
there are no other routers, only ethernet bridges, so the 5300 from different sites are directly connected.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

thomas,

have you considered going to MSTP instead? MSTP is more complicated in configuration but given your situation, it's not going too be too complex.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
MIBA NSD
Advisor

hi!
i have a lot of 2524 which i cannot change to mstp.
but will mstp solve my problem?
Regnar Bang Lyngs├╕_2
Frequent Advisor

It probably could. Your 2524s are running RSTP.

They will see your MST region as one RSTP-switch. So - you could have seperate VLANs in different spanning tree instances. Say all even VLANs are blocking on one link, all odd VLANs are blocking on the other - or have one point-to-point layer 3 link in one spanning tree instance - and the redundant layer 3 link in another spanning tree instance. Both OSPF layer 3 point-to-point links will then be up at the same time.

One limitation though:

Last time I looked into it, all VLANs not in the IST had to be defined on all switches in the region - otherwise you will break the region due to different MST digests. In other words - you need to have the same digest on all region members in order not to break the region. This boils down to having identical VLAN to instance mappings on all switches in the region (default is the IST). But on HP you can't map a VLAN not defined on the switch to a specific spanning tree instance different from the IST (at least last time I checked). So all VLANs not in the IST need to be defined on _all_ your 5308s - even if some VLANs are just a point-to-point link between two switches.

Regnar
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

thomas,

i concur with the above response. additionally: given your topology, i think that running mstp on your 5308xl will solve your problem. the 2524s running rstp will be ok.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
MIBA NSD
Advisor

i will try it, and hope it works.
someone told me to add routers between the sites, but i dont want to do that.

thx for your help.

peter
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

wait a minute. if your 5308xl aren't doing L3 forwarding (routing), why did you need xrrp?
MIBA NSD
Advisor

the 5308 are my default gateway.
2 per site, and they are routing between my vlans and to the other sites(transport net between the sites), firewall and mpls-network.