4938 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Odd RADIUS behavior

type-r180
Occasional Contributor

Odd RADIUS behavior

Hi all

I've configured a couple of switches for RADIUS use, and set up NPS on Windows Server 2008 R2. 

The first switch, a 3500-24, works flawlessly. The second one (5412zl) is slightly different.

If I enable local authentication as the secondary authentication method, via:

aaa authentication ssh login peap-mschapv2 local

Then I don't appear to be being authenticated properly via RADIUS. Here's what happens:

1) Switch prompts for username, I enter my domain username, which works for the other switch

2) I am then taken straight to operator mode ( > at each prompt) without being prompted for a password

3) I'll type enable, and the local password is required

If I then alter the config to this

aaa authentication ssh login peap-mschapv2 none

Then I am able to log into the switch with my AD credentials, just as it should do. However, I now no longer have a secondary means of authentication if the RADIUS server breaks.

Has anyone heard of this before? I am trying to avoid a firmware upgrade as this is a production switch. I just wonder if anyone can think of a reason for this happening, if I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
Pourl
Frequent Advisor

Re: Odd RADIUS behavior

Moin,

You should set the command:

aaa authentication ssh enable peap-mschapv2 local

the default enable ssh authentification is the local account...

btw u should inform yourself about this command:

aaa authentication login privilege-mode

if u send the right radius attributes, your user will automaticly login to ena-level.

type-r180
Occasional Contributor

Hi Pourl,

Thanks for your reply

I'm sorry I didn't show the rest of my config, I already have these set. My RADIUS related config is

radius-server host <ip> key <key>
radius-server timeout 1
radius-server retransmit 1

aaa authentication login privilege-mode
aaa authentication ssh login peap-mschapv2 local
aaa authentication ssh enable peap-mschapv2 local

I have this identical config on another switch that works perfectly as intended, and both switches are being authenticated against the same policy. 

I had to add radius-server timeout 1 and radius-server retransmit 1 as I was getting delays of between 8-12 seconds between the username and password prompt. I removed this config on the troublesome switch but it did not resolve the problem.

I'm stuck!

Pourl
Frequent Advisor

I haven't worked with the MS NPS, we use cisco ACS as AAA-Server.

There I would look for the log of auth, if there was a auth request. Perhaps the is a connection probleme.

Sometimes new devices (switches) I added to the aaa-client base, couldn't auth to acs. Then I had to restart the server/service and everything worked.