4767 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: One server attached to GbE2c unable to ifup eth0

BALAJI_16
Advisor

One server attached to GbE2c unable to ifup eth0

Hi All,

I've been pulling my hair out over this all day, and i'm looking for some answers.

The company I work for, has a fully loaded, brand-spanking-new (literally less than a week old) Bladecentre, with two GbE2c switches attached. Now everything was working fine, up until today, when one server in the BladeCentre stopped talking to the network.

This server is running RHEL 5.2 (Linux)

When trying to bring up the interface eth0 (or eth1 for that matter) I see the following:

In var/log/messages:
bnx2: eth0 NIC SerDes Link is Up, 1000Mbps full duplex, receive & transmit flow control ON

Which would indicate that its working, however almost immediately, I see the following printed to the console:
bnx2: eth0 NIC SerDes Link is Down

When i run an ifconfig, I can see that host OS thinks that the adaptor is up & configured with the correct IP however i am unable to ping ANY active servers in the bladecentre, or ping any IP other than its' own IP address.

Now i'm going to stress that this *was* working, and that there were no strange errors in the IML log when this died, except for:

Network Adapter Link Down (showed under the first ethernet adaptor for the server).

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
Chrisd13
Advisor

BALAJI, what does the chassis' Onboard Administrator tell you about the 2 nics for that blade server which is no longer working? Does it claim that both nics are up and running? You can check this by logging into your OA via it's IP address and drill down through Interconnect bays > Switch name > Port Mappings. The blade server should be listed as OK (connected). Hope this points you in the right direction for diagnosing the issue.
BALAJI_16
Advisor

All are showing in up but i can't access it
Chrisd13
Advisor

Are you able to insert the blade server into another slot to test the connectivity of the blade server and also try another known working blade in the current slot which is not getting any connectivity. This will then tell you if it is the slot or the blade. We had a similar problem with a blade in our c-class chassis and it ended up being the motherboard of the blade whch was faulty. We diagnosed it by swapping the potentially faulty blade with one that we knew worked.

Are you able to access the problematic blade via iLO?
BALAJI_16
Advisor

i interchanged the blades in diffetent slots here its working but on that old slot i inserted some other blade now tht changed blade having this issue.
Chrisd13
Advisor

That sounds to me that you have an issue with the backplane for that faulty slot. I think you need to speak to HP tech. support to get a replacement (if ya still under warrenty).