New Discussion юеВ

Re: Openflow 1.3 "queue action" switch support

SOLVED
Go to solution
LudovicC
Occasional Advisor

Openflow 1.3 "queue action" switch support

Hi,

Does anyone know if HPE provides a switch which support "queue action" from the OpenFlow protocol 1.3 ?

For example, in the "HPE Switch Software OpenFlow v1.3 Administrator Guide K/KA/KB/WB 16.01.000" from Aruba 2920 Switch Series, it's written that "Set-queue action" is unsupported.

Thanks.

LC.

7 REPLIES 7
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Have you checked the HPE FlexNetwork 7500, HPE FlexNetwork 5510 HI or HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
LudovicC
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I check the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch, manual "HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series OpenFlow Configuration Guide". It seems to support "queue action" but it's not clearly write the supported and unsupported openflow features like in the Aruba 2920 Switch Serie... Especially as the "queue actions" are optional actions.

In the Aruba 2920 Switch Serie, there are "v1, v2 and v3" modules, but i don't relly understand what it is. Is it the software in the switch, like WB 16.01.000 ? I just know that only the v3 module support the "custom pipeline model". Does the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI have the same module "differentiation" ?

Thanks.

LC.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@LudovicC wrote:

Hi,

I check the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch, manual "HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series OpenFlow Configuration Guide". It seems to support "queue action" but it's not clearly write the supported and unsupported openflow features like in the Aruba 2920 Switch Serie... Especially as the "queue actions" are optional actions.

I'm not an expert here but, from what I've found, the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series (which run Comware 7 OS) should be compatible with OpenFlow Switch Specification Version 1.3.1.

The Action "set queue" (that "Maps the flow entry to a queue specified by ID") should be supported: as example, have a look at the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI Switch Series OpenFlow Command Reference guide released on March 28th, 2016 (it is related to Comware 7.1 Software version R3111P02 although latest release is R3113P02, released on May, 6th 2016).

In the Aruba 2920 Switch Serie, there are "v1, v2 and v3" modules, but i don't relly understand what it is. Is it the software in the switch, like WB 16.01.000 ? I just know that only the v3 module support the "custom pipeline model". Does the HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI have the same module "differentiation" ?

Thanks.

LC.

Not sure but "v1, v2 and v3 modules", as you wrote, can't be something directly related to Aruba 2920 since the only one (port) Module it supports is the HP 2920 2-port 10GBASE-T Module (J9732) which is not related with zl Modules: your statement seems something related more to zl Modules used on HPE 5400 zl (Platform letter K), HPE 8200 zl (Platform letter K) and HPE 5400R zl2 (Platform letter KB) Switches. Probably you've read somewhere that v1 zl Modules are not supported when you plan to use OpenFlow on HPE 5400 zl, HPE 8200 zl and HPE 5400R zl2 Switches.

The Aruba 2920 runs the Platform letter WB ProVision (now ArubaOS Switch) Software. The 16.01.xxxx is (just) one of the actually available Branches. The Aruba 3800 runs the Platform letter KA.

I'm not an HPE Employee
LudovicC
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for this informations. The HPE FlexNetwork 5130 EI seems to be a good solution for my needs.

For the "v1, v2 and v3 modules", i read this in the HPE Switch Software OpenFlow v1.3 Administrator Guide K/KA/KB/WB 16.01.000 guide (p.102 "A flow classification on v1, v2 and v3 modules"). I don't think the word "module" is used for a module that we can plug into to switch (like HP 2920 2-port 10GBASE-T Module (J9732)), but more like a version or something like this..

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Not sure LudovicC.

The statement on the manual on that page initially is: "Hardware differences between v1, v2 and v3 modules affect flow match and capabilities.". The word "Hardware" make me think that at HPE/Aruba they are referring to v1, v2 and v3 zl Modules Hardware differences (ASICs generations changed between v1, v2 and v3 on zl Modules) that affect flow match and capabilities (indeed they also refer to "OpenFlow fields/actions that can be matched/executed in Hardware").

Grouping v2 and v3 (2nd and 3rd Generations) separately from v1 (1st Generation) make me also think that at HPE/Aruba they refer to something that is Hardware related and not Software related since - exactly - v2 zl Modules and v3 zl Modules support features that simply v1 zl Modules don't...so this way of grouping seems something rational.

Aruba 2920 is excluded from that since it doesn't support any zl Modules...so all those speculations could be relevant only to use OpenFlow 1.3 specifically on HPE/Aruba 5400 zl, 8200 zl and 5400R zl2 switches equipped with/without v1 zl, v2 zl and/or v3 zl Modules.

It seems HPE/Aruba published an updated "HPE Switch Software OpenFlow v1.3 Administrator Guide - K/KA/KB/WB/WC 16.02" (June 2016) for Platform letters K, KA, KB, WB and WC (Note: WC is used by Aruba 2930F Switches Series for which I'm unable to find the Software Download or Release Notes), look here.

Also note that - actually - the 16.02 isn't officially released (latest available Branch - I think it is the GA branch - is actually the 16.01 derived from the 15.18).

Edit: corrected Aruba 2930R into Aruba 2930F.

I'm not an HPE Employee
LudovicC
Occasional Advisor

Hum ok ! I guess you right :).

I found a v3 zl Modules guide and now i understand. It's usefull, for example, if you buy an empty rack and then you need to plug a module, like the zl Modules into.

But with a HPE FlexNetwork 5130 24G POE+ i don't need any module to use OpenFlow 1.3 with "queue action" and "custom pipeline mode".

LC.

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Exactly.

zl Modules are specific of non-fixed ports (so Chassis) Switch series like 5400 zl, 5400R zl2 and so on...and there are also requirements and limitations on current features (like VSF that runs on 5400R zl2 only with v3 zl Modules) when you use "old" zl (v1) or zl (v2) Modules on those chassis.

Recently I answered to a post about v1 and v2 zl Modules compatibility with Chassis Switches (I didn't write about v3 zl Modules there because that question was specific about a HPE 5412 zl Switch that doesn't support v3 zl Modules at all) here, maybe you can found other information too.

The HPE FlexNetwork 5130 24G POE+ doesn't support any zl Module so you should be OK with OpenFlow 1.3 features you need ("queue action" and "custom pipeline mode").

Definitely I'm not an expert here...would be interesting to understand why and how to use OpenFlow but probably this is a very huge topic (SDN Software Defined Networks?) and there is plenty of good literature I should read to understand the what/where and why of OpenFlow.

Edit:

Forgot to add this link: an interesting Technical Whitepaper about Aruba 5400R zl2 v2 to v3 Modules - Compatibility and Upgrade guide - I found weeks ago. It provides additional informations about OpenFlow and SDN relationships with those Modules versions.

I'm not an HPE Employee