1752679 Members
5733 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM 2.0 Telnet during discovery

Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

PCM 2.0 Telnet during discovery

It is very disconcerting to see that PCM+ 2.0 now TELNETs in to all my switches many times a day. I view TELNET as a convenient but evil tool because of the low security. I realize SSH is gaining support and that some switches support management VLANs, but I really dislike that I am now forced to deploy those security measures immediately rather than as my time allows.

I can take the measured risk of using telnet on rare occasions because the odds of someone intercepting session packets are rare but when PCM does it on a scheduled basis many times a day to many devices, the odds become astronomical. Mine is just a small network but I can just imagine the risk that larger install bases will face. Large networks present greater opportunities for traffic to be intercepted.

I also monitor for (log) and alert on telnet access but not all switch models (like the 2524) return the source IP, so I cannot filter out PCM telnet from other telnet sources. Also, my logs are now filling up with the "noise" of all these events that I need to parse through looking for anomalies.

Is nobody else bothered by this?
4 REPLIES 4
Preston Gallwas
Valued Contributor

Re: PCM 2.0 Telnet during discovery

Les, I have all of our stack commanders to report 'ALL' to PCM, and I havent seen the TELNET Logins reported back to PCM, unless I go into the switch and and use stack access (at which point) I see that.

Of course, it could be because my discovery was not working because the CPU is being pegged by the sql piece :(
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Hi Les,

I can't imagine why PCM would need to telnet during discovery. My guess would be this is something else, maybe scheduled Config scan or another policy that you might have set.

But i am pretty positive that the Discovery uses SNMP.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Mohamed,
During beta testing, I did pose the question to the beta team and while I generally keep confidential our discussions, here is the confirmation given to me.

Yes, PCM will telnet to its managed devices several times a day due the various phases of discovery. Some of these discovery phases use a CLI session to access the data they are collecting because it is not available via SNMP.

I am positive that the Discovery uses SNMP too, only not exclusively. You could of course, install PCM2 and see for yourself.
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Ahhh, yes, i think this is true to do VLAN discovery i think.