5929 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM 2.2 "Test Communication Parameters" from the device access menu

Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

PCM 2.2 "Test Communication Parameters" from the device access menu

Hello,

Recently I upgraded procurve manager from 2.1 to 2.2 we currently manage around 400 switches but will soon increase this to almost 2000 switches.

First i just want to state that the problem i am having below i did not have with 2.1 this is a new problem.

When i select a group of switches then choose "Test Communication Parameters" from the device access menu
procurve manager is stating that some of the devices are unreachable or the credentials are incorrect even though all the authentication parameters are correct.

First i thought the cli timeout was to short so i have increased it to the maximum it has not fixed the problem.

Second i have triple checked the credentials on the switches which is correct and also made sure that the credentials are correct in PCM both are correct.

Third i have stopped all scanning and traffic sampling and then tried "Test Communication Parameters" from the device access menu. I still have the same issue.

Also the problem is intermittent every time you scan the devices some times PCM will state all communication modes are successful then on the same switch it will state unsuccessful.

Any ideas would be fantastic because we are out of them

Thanks

Mark

P.S I have shut down the server PCM is on and rebooted it and same problem.
7 REPLIES 7
Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

Ahhh have rolled back to 2.1 and its doing the same thing...........what what what?!?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Is your network stable right now? Any spanning-tree topology changes happening that could be disrupting this traffic?
Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

G'day Matt,

Nothing substantial that could be causing this though in saying that i think it may be network related as its still happening but not as bad.
Just in the process of building another server with 2.2 to see what happens with a clean install.

Thanks for your reply
Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

Fresh install on a fresh server using 2.2 now stating under CLI Operator "Failed: Device Unreachable" but there is no lag in the network...........i have no idea!!
Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

This is some weird Sh#t going on we now have 2.1 and 2.2 running side by side with exactly the same settings and the problem is 10 times worse on the 2.2 server we are getting this error in our switches we scan -

W 07/17/07 14:09:27 auth: Invalid user name/password on TELNET session

does anybody know what protocol is used when scanning for device access ? Something must be getting screwed through our network.

I noticed the same thing today, and found this post that might be helpful for you:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1012168&admit=-682735245+1186670475948+28353475

So changing the default UI from menu to CLI might solve the problem. I haven't had time to test it myself yet, so please let me know if it works or not.

Btw. PCM 2.1 update 3 release notes advice to do the exact opposite thing:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/PCM21-Update3-RelNotes-59908860.pdf
Mark Putland
Occasional Advisor

All our switches use cli as default not menu......have basically found out its an engineering issue hp have to fix this one.