1753952 Members
7572 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM+2.3 user interface very slow

Ed Davis_2
Occasional Advisor

PCM+2.3 user interface very slow

I manage 415 Procurve devices on our network and have migrated from Top Tools thru all the PCM+ revs. over the years. I have the recommended OS and hardware reqiurements that PCM+ runs on. I can't pin point just when but PCM+ user interface is extremley slow to respond. I think this issue just slowly manifested itself and has gotten worse. I have traffic manger shut off, no sy logging from all devices, have set to ignore some error traps, set end switches to "Critical", etc. Mysql does seem to be very busy, but not sure why. Are there tweeks to be done on it, or performance tweeks on server or just what. I would hate to think I would have to reinstall and start discovery all over again as our network is quite complicated, but if I have to I will. Just wondering if anyone else manages this many devices and or are experinceing this also.
If I was doing any better, I'd be puking blood!
7 REPLIES 7
Greg S  SD36

We are have the same problem with 2.3. Did you ever figure this out? What kind of hardware are you running this on?

We have over 1100 devices in PCM+.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

2.3 with the AutoUpdate 6 package should be quite good performance wise. Un-patched though I have definitely seen some performance issues.
Mike T.
Occasional Contributor

I got autoupdate package #6, #8 and #9. Still chunking here. Got about 600 devices. I turned on the firewall and blocked all traffic to the PCM... still very slow. Looks like MYSQL is churning on something. Anyone come up with a solution? Calling HP Support. If I get a fix I will post.
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

To check if mysql is causing issues, examining the following files would possibly help:

1) \server\mysql\data\*.err
2) \server\logs\RepoServer.log
3) \client\logs\RepoClient.log

Also what is the CPU consumption of the mysql and javaw processes listed in taskmanager during the time you observe the behaviour?
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Also check logs named Cs-err.log, Cs-out.log under \server\logs\ and \client\logs\ - this might give some hint as to what could be causing the slowness.
Marco Albertini
Advisor

Did you try to use PCM client from remote PC?

I have same interface performance issues, but if i run it from my PC all is working good.

Ulrich Keller
Advisor

Hi at all -
We have had the same performace issues, but in our network, there are only 180 Networking Devices to be managed by the PCM.
I was looking at the Preferences parameters and i found the reason for this behaviour:

Events -> Max. numer of events. This value was set to MAX (10000)!

The second parameter (Syslog Events -> Syslog events per device was set to 10000 !!

The last parameter Trim-Syslog messages every xx Minutes was set to 10000!!!!

What was this ? - I decreased all the mentioned values - and since then, the PCM works without any problems.

I hope this will help you.