Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753962 Members
7524 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM 3.0 Configuration Management problem

Tore Aa. Hansen

PCM 3.0 Configuration Management problem

I experience a problem with the Configuration management page in Preferences as well as the Configuration Management status page.
Both are blank, the PCM client are unable to read any information into them.
Consequently, I am unable to eg. download sw version list or change any settings. When using the Software update wizard the PCM does not find any images for newly discovered devices, but lists images for devices previously updated via PCM.
We have used the PCM and IDM for some time and the update feature has never caused any problems.
I am able to use the systems tftp server by manually upload/download configurations and sw images
All other functions is ok, including IDM ldap to domain and radius server for 802.1x control as well as sending commands with the cli wizard and reading configurations.
To me it seems like a missing service or a database problem, unfortunately after half a weekend browsing through documentation and forums, I am stuck for ideas. Has anyone any ideas?

(The system is running both PCM server and client on W2003 server with a single network card, all the latest patches for PCM, IDM and W2003 server are installed, disks have plenty of free space.)
4 REPLIES 4
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

couple of quick checks

a) Are the device's reachable from PCM?( Device Manager > Test Communication Parameters). Are they being shown with a "green tick" in the tree view

b)Do you have any non-PCM tftp service running ( you mentioned "I am able to use the systems tftp server by manually ...")?
Tore Aa. Hansen

Thanks very much for your response.
To your questions:
>a) Are the device's reachable from PCM?( >Device Manager > Test Communication >Parameters). Are they being shown with >a "green tick" in the tree view

Yes, all devices checks out ok and communication test succeeds.

>
>b)Do you have any non-PCM tftp service >running ( you mentioned "I am able to use >the systems tftp server by manually ...")?

I had Cisco's TFTP server installed, but this is not an active service unless it is manually started. To be on the safe side, I uninstalled it, and restartet the PCM server.
No change to the "blank" problem, when opened in Preferences, there is still no response, and the Configuration Management status page is still blank.
To doublecheck that the system (PCM)is running its tftp server, I ran the following command from a switch cli:

copy flash tftp 10.172.15.41 test-fra-sw

and the file placed itself in the directory:
c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PNM\pcm-agent\data\download\
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

Ok..

There seems to be a similar known issue in 3.0 version, and has been fixed in the PCM 3.1 Autoupdate 2 ( check the release notes http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/PCM310_u2-Release-Notes-0410.pdf , which mentions the bug).

I think you are hitting the same issue, most probably. This is caused when you have firware updates scheduled for some devices, and those devices were deleted at some point of time.

Do you remember if you manually deleted some devices for which there were firmware updates scheduled before? You can possibly do a discovery on those devices and try launching the window?

Or the best approach to solve the issue of "blank configuration mgmt" is by using the latest Autoupdate to PCM 3.1. [http://www.procurve.com/customercare/support/software/network_management.htm#31updates]

Hope that helped!

Do let know

Javed
Tore Aa. Hansen

Thanks again for your time and response!

I am quite certain that I did not have any scheduled upgrades, I had not used that feature for nearly 6 months, I tend to like to have control when upgrading :-).
I have of course deleted devices.

I too read in the 3.10 documentation that this issue was referenced as fixed in Update 2. Since I , at the time, had no information concerning the licensing cost from 3.00 to 3.10, I was reluctant to upgrade before trying to resolve the problem in 3.00.
I have now requested this information from our dealer, we will at some point in time decide to upgrade anyway.

If you (or anyone ) know of a way to fix this in 3.00 it would be nice, since I am never quite comfortable upgrading a system that is not fully operational.

Thanks so far, I will keep you posted.