1754020 Members
7737 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM+ 3.0 vs. PCM+ 2.x

Scooterbum
Occasional Contributor

PCM+ 3.0 vs. PCM+ 2.x

I currently use PCM+ 2.3 - considering upgrade to 3.0 but I cannot find any comparisons of the versions.
Why would I upgrade ?
5 REPLIES 5
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: PCM+ 3.0 vs. PCM+ 2.x

for upgrade 2.3 to 3.0 needed upgrade device license

J9173A: HP ProCurve
Manager Plus 3.0
50-device license
upgrade

http://www.hp.com/rnd/pdfs/4AA1-8647ENW.pdf
please look at this guide
cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Hi,

PCM 3.0 has greater scalability, achieved through an agent-based architecture that essentially adds another tier between the GUI (client) and devices. Now, instead of the PCM server communicating directly with devices, all communication between devices and PCM takes place via the agent(s). The PCM server talks only to the agents. This allows the PCM agents to be placed behind firewalls where they can manage devices that would have previously not been reachable from a PCM 2.x server outside the firewall. There are numerous other new features, plus improvements to specific aspects of existing features (e.g. traffic monitoring can now handle 30k sFlow ports and 100k total ports simultaneously in PCM 3.0 vs. only 500 sFlow ports and 5k total ports in PCM 2.x; also vastly improved event management and filtering). Note that for people who don't need scalability beyond that of PCM 2.x you can run one PCM agent on the same system as the PCM 3.0 server so that your management infrastructure can remain unchanged.

Eventually, too, all new device support will be provided through PCM 3.0 and its successors. Although I think there is some grace period during which new device support will also be provided for PCM 2.3, but I'm not sure offhand what that grace period is.

PCM 3.0 also supports the vastly-improved Network Immunity Manager 2.0, which is a quantum improvement over its 1.0 predecessor in terms of accuracy, usability, and performance.

Regards,

SVB
Javed Padinhakara
Respected Contributor

In addition to the good points highlighted by Cenk and SVB, the list of 'New' features (marked in RED) and improvements in PCM 3.0 are well captured @
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/management/ProCurve_Manager_Plus/overview.htm.

Click the "Features" tab in that page.

HTH
`Javed
Scooterbum
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to those who responded for the assistance.