Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753257 Members
5774 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM Endnode discovery?

Mike_769

PCM Endnode discovery?

Does PCM discover endnode info? Specifically I'm trying to find out what device is connected to what port. I have 5 switches in my environment, all 5308xl's. They are all meshed on one VLAN (VLAN 1). Three of them have the workstations in the building and two have all the servers (90% of which are HP DL series servers).

I'm trying to find just the port information for the two switches that have the servers. I would like to know the IP and NetBIOS name for each port at the very least.

Any help is appreciated. I was also told that the TopTools might do a better job at this, but I see they are no longer supported.
6 REPLIES 6
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Mike,

Short answer, Nope. and you are correct about TopTools.

Regards,

SCOOTER
Mike_769

Thanks for the short answer. That's kind of what I thought.

I also read that SIM is suppose to be the replacement for TopTools, but I didn't get very good results with either. Have you used SIM to monitor Procurve Switches?
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

Sorry can't help you there, never used SIM. I only have Procurve to monitor never really bothered about the rest of the devices.

Regards,

SCOOTER
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

> I would like to know the IP and NetBIOS
> name for each port at the very least.

Two ways to do this (that work):

- Kiwi CatTools: can get ARP cache from the local router and produce a report that relates IP & MAC addresses to NetBIOS/DNS Name. Also can produce a report associating MAC addresses with switch ports. Use Excel to combine these reports, and you'll have the info you're seeking. This approach trades-off low software cost against the labour neded to produce the report.

- Solarwinds: If you have a lot of ports to map or need the above report often, it may cost less to use Solarwinds switch port mapping utility which does all of this in one step. We use their Engineer's Edition (~$1K US).

Hope this is useful,
Evan
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

You could export your DHCP database and correlate it with the MACs listed on the switch.

I use Fluke OptiView Console but it is not cheap.

HTH
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

NNM can do this also. You can download it and run it for 60 days. If you don't like it, at least you have a snapshot of the layout.

I also used a crude script to collect arp entries.

loop through each possible IP address in your IP range. Do a single PING if the PING is good use the arp -an command to capture the IP and mac address and write it to a file. If the ping worked you could also execute an snmpwalk system to get info about the device.

snmpwalk can also be used to get the mac address and port table from the switches.

Which of course is how NNM and the other tools go about discovering the network topology.