108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM Plus 2.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jake_8
Occasional Advisor

PCM Plus 2.0

Is there a way to dump stats or report on stats from the traffic monitoring part of PCM 1.6 or 2.0 ?
Also, after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.6 some of the end-nodes that 1.6 said were OK are now red or 'unreachable' under 2.0
4 REPLIES 4
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Re: PCM Plus 2.0

Jake,

Unfortunately there isn't any way in the imminent PCM 2.1 release or any of its predecessors to dump or report on traffic statistics. However, we (I work on PCM+) are looking into this capability for subsequent releases. So let me ask ... how would you like this data to be presented? Would it be better to export the data in some form (csv, XML) or generate a periodic report?

If a report, what kind of data would you like to see in it? Presumably not minute-by-minute data for every segment, so what kind of "highlights" or summary data would you be looking for? Opinions from anyone else on this topic are also quite welcome ...

I believe the nodes unreachable issue has been discussed on the forum earlier. I don't recall what the answer was and don't have the URL handy, but if you search back a few weeks in history I think you may find it there.

Regards,

SVB
Jake_8
Occasional Advisor

Steve,
I would prefer csv type data, so that we can manipulate the information as we need.
Which brings me to the next question .... as you are using mysql to store the data would you be able to provide the parameters required to connect to the mysql server ... then I can dump the data myself.
Thanks
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor
Solution

Jake,

The traffic data isn't persisted in the mysql database, it's held in memory within the PCM+ server process space. So unfortunately there isn't a back door, so to speak, from which you can access the data. We are investigating persisting this data in some form, perhaps binary flat files or zipped ASCII files, in future releases. In any case, to make the data accessible, we'll provide some sort of command-line utility or other export capability that would provide you with access to the data in a manner that's consumable by other programs/scripts.

I realize that this answer doesn't help you now. The best thing I can offer to you at this point is the opportunity to provide feedback to make sure that when we implement this access we get it right the first time. Which is what led me to the questions in the preceding post regarding the form you'd like to see any sort of reports take.

Regards,

SVB
Jake_8
Occasional Advisor

Steve,
I dont know how that feature was overlooked at design time. It would have given PCM a big tick ... especially when you consider how expensive & cumbersome some network monitoring tools are.
It would be nice if the data was persisted in a db, which could then be archived by day/week etc. The existing interface could be used to scan the archived data.
On the reporting side, the report would have to access the categories already provided by the traffic monitor interface i.e min/max/ave ports, protocol %ages etc.
Thanks