1753599 Members
6530 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM+ Traffic Monitor problem

Ollie_4

PCM+ Traffic Monitor problem

Hi all,
Having recently purchased PCM+, I installed it last week on our of our W2003 servers. It ran fine the first time, clients connected to it OK and we used the traffic monitor to see what our main switches were doing. The next day however, and ever since, it sits there saying "Attempting to re-establish connection" (Screenshot attached) I've tried removing the devices from the monitor but this seems to have had no effect.
Any help/ideas/suggestions gratefully received! :)

Ollie
15 REPLIES 15
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Never worked with PCM+ so I'm just guessing but I expect it installs a service on its home server which does the monitoring and polling of the different devices. When you start up the client console, the client software probably uses tcp/ip to talk to the service to get the data. I expect the service has stopped running for some reason so is no longer listening on whatever port the console expects to communicate with it on. Right click on My Computer and select Manage then Services and Applications and then Services then see if you can identify the PCM service in the right pane. Stop it then open a cmd windows (Start/ Run/ cmd) and type netstat -an then Restart the service and do netstat -an again and see what port(s) gets added. Restarting the service may be enough to get it working again but you need to figure out why it broke.

While you are in Manage you can look at the Event Viewer under Applications or System and see if you see any reference to your PCM.
Often you will find something useful there.

Ron

Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

Hi Ollie,

You get that message when you do any changes like adding or removing devices. This is basically restarting the monitoring engine.

The message shouldn't stay for more than a few minutes. Does the message still appear even after you removed all the devices?
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

What you can try is stop and restart the services, or if possible reboot your box.
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Ollie,

Which functions are not working?

The reason I'm asking is because your screenshot shows that the PCM client _IS_ connected with the PCM server and that the server is currently running discovery.

The thing you circled is due to the fact that you have no switches currently being monitored by PCM+ for traffic. Please let me know if this assumption is wrong.

Thanks.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.
Ollie_4

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but can safely say "Tried that" to all of them! :)
Restarted the box several times, removed and replaced switches in the traffic monitor, stopped & restarted discovery, but all end up with the same continuos "attempting to re-establish connection"
This morning however I've got a new error message. Having left it running all night "Connecting" I've now got a "The connection with the Typhoon service has been broken.
Server:/x.x.x.x
The reason for this is not available"
(Don't you just love the helpful error messages! :) )
Ollie_4

Further info:
Having been though the event logs I've found
"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Trafficd ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Trafficd error: 997, No devices were specified in the network topology database for the segments to
be monitored with Extended RMON.."
Any suggestions?
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Remove the software completely and reinstall.

See:http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=510212

Ron
Ollie_4

Ron,
Already tried a re-install. It always works fine the first time you run it, but if you run it a second time, you get the on-going problem
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

I've seen the "disconnected from Typhoon" messages before. What I noticed is that the PCM service on the NT/2K/03 server has stopped. Going into the server to start/restart the service has worked for me. Which version of PCM+ are you running?
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.