108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM+ Traffic Problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

PCM+ Traffic Problems

On our old PCM installation we started to encounter a problem with traffic monitoring. When a port was selected the utilisation or top talkers graphs would say Awaiting Data and never refresh. After about 2 minutes the whole client would crash with the error 'The connection with the Procurve Network Manager service has been broken'.

I put this down to the older server hardware PCM was installed upon. Recently we've purchased a brand new high performance server with quad core processors and 4Gb RAM. For the first two days PCM ran fine but today I'm encountering the same errors with traffic monitoring.

The PCM installation is completely new with no migration of old data. Has anyone encountered this before or is aware of a fix? As it stands the traffic monitoring is a key feature for us. PCM monitors around 260 switches varying from 2600s, 53/5400s and 8200s.
27 REPLIES 27
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Re: PCM+ Traffic Problems

hi Jason
what have you PCM+ licence

you have 260 switch on network
is this true..?
in that case you have must be
pcm+ 2.3 unlimited device licence

or

pcm+ 2.3 100 device licence x3deal
cenk

Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

Hi, we have the unlimited device license, however I've been advised by HP support to wait 1 week following the recent re-installation before reregistering our licenses in case we encountered problems necessitating another reinstall.
Renico
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jason,

Did you try to install the latest update?

ProCurve Manager Plus 2.322(Auto Update 7)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pcm_2_3_322_update_7.zip
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

We let the system patch itself to update 6 - it doesn't recognise update 7 via the GUI. I'll manually install this update, however I do not see any fix in the release notes relating to this particular problem.

In the server logs you can clearly see warnings from the trafficd.exe process failing and terminating. I blame Java! Any software I've come across written in Java is buggy.
Jason Scott
Regular Advisor

I've applied update 7 and initially traffic graphs and top talkers were working, but after around 5 minutes they have stopped again.

I'll raise this as a fault with our supplier.
Renico
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jason,

Just to be on the save side and eliminate possible config issues, could you please try the following command on a 5400 or 8200 switch:

snmp-server host 1.1.1.1 Public

with 1.1.1.1 representing your PCM server IP, and see if you can successfully gather stats afterwards?
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi jason
check pcm server log files

\Program Files\Hawlett-Packard\PNM\server\logs\CS-err.log

and

\Program Files\Hawlett-Packard\PNM\server\logs\SvrJCoreMain0.log

cenk

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor