1748154 Members
3771 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM Update Problem

Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

PCM Update Problem

I've been regularly updating my PCM 2.1 installation as new updates are released. Trouble is, since update 7, no updates will now work. If I try and update (manual or automatic), PCM goes through the process and doesn't give any errors, but never updates!

All updates through 7 are listed as installed, 8 or 9 never worked. I'm wondering if update 7 introduced a problem, or whether there is another way of forcing an update to work.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Tony -

You don't mention whether you tried updating by checking the "FTP" box or the "PCM's download folder" box, so I don't know whether the FTP transfer could have had a problem, or whether the problem was within PCM.

I suggest you try the 'folder' update method.

If you still have problems, I suggest you look at the contents of \Program Files\PNM\server\logs\autoApp_out.log and autoApp_err.log (in the same fodler as autoApp_out.log) to see whether the contents of those two files help you isolate the problem.
Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I can confirm I've tried both the FTP and manual methods.

FTP goes through the process of downloading the updates, finishes, warns about the update requires shutting down processes, and then starts, but according to PCM, the update is not applied.

If I copy the downloaded ZIP file to the correct folder, then start the manual update process, PCM finds the file, goes through the same process above, but never shows it's been updated ok.

I've checked the two log files suggested, autoApp_err.log is empty, while autoApp_out.log has the following content;

srvcfg:C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PNM\server\config\AutoUpdateServer.scp
histcfg:C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PNM\server\config\update_history.prp
updcfg:C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PNM\server\.\data\download\autoupdate\manual_updates.prp
version:A_01_00,B_02_100,A_xx_xx,
user:Administrator
mode:MANUAL
files:B_02_10_9,
stop:all
m_name:HP ProCurve Network Manager Serverm_configName:config/pcm-service.confm_id:2
m_name:HP ProCurve Datastorem_configName:config/db-service.confm_id:1
m_name:HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Servicem_configName:config/traffic-service.confm_id:3
stopping services...
Stopping HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service ...

Doesn't give anything away really.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Tony -

The update failed fairly early on. Your autoApp_out.log file should have continued with entries such as those listed below my signature.

I don't know what is going wrong, but here are my thoughts:

1. When you start an Automatic Update, PCM prompts you to exit PCM. Since you have done previous AU updates, I assume that you correctly exited PCM, waited awhile, then ran PCM again, although perhaps significant time had elapsed and you did the update differently more recently. Did you exit PCM and wait awhile before bringing PCM bakc up again? There is not any feedback in the UI that the update is happending, because PCM is not running, although if you have Task Manager running you will notice that 'javaw.exe' is using significant amounts of the CPU. It is a good idea to wait until javaw.exe's CPU usage subsides to a sub-10% level before re-invoking PCM.

2. Assuming that you did everything correctly, as disussed in point 1, above, then we may have to consider the possibility that something is corrupted and you may have to uninstall and reinstall PCM 2.1. If you do that, then you'll be able to update directly from PCM 2.1 ("AU0") to AU9, and it seems very unlikely that you would run into the same problem again.

Good luck.

Ralph

wrapper | Stopping the HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service service...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service stopped.
Stopping HP ProCurve Network Manager Server ...
wrapper | Stopping the HP ProCurve Network Manager Server service...
wrapper | Waiting to stop...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Network Manager Server stopped.
Stopping HP ProCurve Datastore ...
wrapper | Stopping the HP ProCurve Datastore service...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Datastore stopped.
controlServices:true
All services stopped successfully...
applying updates..
m_normalizer:Infinity
Applying Update: B_02_10_9
Extracting file...pcm_2_1_update_9.zip
extractFile./data/download/autoupdate/pcm_2_1_update_9.zip
Removing backup files...
B_02_10_9 applied successfully!
Starting service HP ProCurve Datastore
wrapper | Starting the HP ProCurve Datastore service...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Datastore started.
Starting service HP ProCurve Network Manager Server
wrapper | Starting the HP ProCurve Network Manager Server service...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Network Manager Server started.
Starting service HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service
wrapper | Starting the HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service service...
wrapper | HP ProCurve Traffic Launch Service started.
controlServices:true
Update Process Completed
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Tony -

Oh, the other thought that comes to mind is to try the AU update again, then after you exit PCM check Windows Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and see whether HP ProCurve Traffic Launch server is running. If so, stop it. Perhaps that will allow the update to continue.

Ralph
Tony Barrett_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies Ralph.

Looks like stopping the services is a problem. I initiated another update, then watched the service list to see what shutdown. None of the three PCM services (traffic, network or datastore) ever shutdown. The shutdown order is traffic first, and this just returns a Windows error saying it could not be stopped, which I suspect is why the logfile doesn't report anything after this! Odd thing is, the services work fine, and PCM fires up ok. One thing I forgot to mention is that this installation is OV NNM integrated. Never caused a problem with updates before though.

Is there anyway of initiating the update outside of PCM? If I set all the PCM services to start manually and reboot, I could then maybe start the update from the command line. All I would need to know is the Java command which starts the process.
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Tony, I don't know any way of initiating the PCM AU update externally to PCM.
Lei.Ma
Frequent Advisor

did you check the release notes? i have installed pcm_2_1_update_8 , and it works fine.
check out following infomation:
Using the Manual Process to Install
1. Copy the pcm_2_1_update_8.zip file to the \PNM\server\data\download\autoupdate directory.*
2. Open the Preferences panel in the PCM Client and select the Automatic Updates node to display
the Global:Automatic Updates panel.
3. Click the Check Now button at the bottom of the panel to display the Select update mode: dialog.
4. Select the Check for updates in PCM├в s download folder option and press Next.
5. You should see the new auto-update presented for installation, and you can continue with the
Update installation (steps 3 through 5 above).
6. Restart the client and verify that the update was applied by checking the Update History node
located under the Automatic Updates preference node.
* The default PCM server installation directory is: C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PNM\server
on the workstation where PCM was initially installed.