5838 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PCM & 4200vl Series Switches

Randy Saeks
Occasional Advisor

PCM & 4200vl Series Switches

Hi there,

I am running PCM (B.02.0322) with autoupdate package 7 applied. The switch I have is a 4208vl-96 with software version L.11.12.

When trying to view the traffic data for this switch / ports, I never receive any data. However, on the 2610 and and 2650's I am able to view traffic data.

What would be a few things I can try to get the 4200 series switches on board?
2 REPLIES 2
Franklyn
Frequent Advisor

Re: PCM & 4200vl Series Switches

Hi Randy!

Taken from the FAQs, its worth a shot:

1. Make sure that the management station is set as a trap receiver on the devices.
2. Make sure there are no other processes bound to port 162. This includes the Windows SNMP Trap Receiver Service.
3. In the PCM preferences pane under the events node, uncheck "Ignore Unknown traps" just to verify that traps can be received.
4. Check the server log files, PCM/server/logs/CS-err.log and PCM/server/SvrJCoreMain0.log to see if any errors are reported.

Good Luck!
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Re: PCM & 4200vl Series Switches

> I am running PCM (B.02.0322) with autoupdate package 7 applied. The switch I have is a 4208vl-96 with software version L.11.12.
>
>When trying to view the traffic data for this switch / ports, I never receive any data. However, on the 2610 and and 2650's I am able to view traffic data.

Randy,

Can you clarify what you mean by "I am able to view traffic data" for the 2610 and 2650s? Does this include just the amount of traffic, or can you see the traffic content (top talkers) for the 2610s? Are you requesting sampled data or stats on the switches? The reason I'm asking is that stats are collected via SNMP polls from port 161 while sampled data is collected via sFlow, using UDP port 6343. So if you're not getting sampled data (and hence traffic content) on the 2610s, and just stats data, then the first thing to check is that you don't have a firewall blocking port 6343 on your PCM system.

If you are getting sampled data from the 2610s and the problem appears to be just with the 4208, then make sure that there is no firewall in between the 4208 and the PCM system. You could make sure that you can at least get stats data from the 4208 by manually configuring stats-only collection on its ports. If that doesn't work then try deleting and rediscovering the 4208; on rare occasions the PCM topology database gets messed up and this will force it to reinitialize for that device. If you still can't get stats then there is some kind of issue with getting SNMP gets back from that specific device, which shouldn't be the case if you can discover it in the first place.

Assuming you can get stats data from the 4208 then the issue appears to be isolated to sFlow on that device. Manually configure sampling for the ports of the 4208 and see if you get any data; if not then use a MIB browser to check the sFlow MIB on the device to see if PCM is trying to configure it (you can get the MIB at sFlow.org). If PCM isn't configuring it you can try deleting the device and rediscovering it just to force the database to a known state. And if that doesn't work then you will have to get into the PCM traffic collector's logging to see what's going on, but I'd rather not go there unless it's necessary. If PCM *is* configuring the device but you're not getting any samples at PCM then these symptoms would point to a firewall somewhere, but you can try running WireShark on the PCM management station to see if the sFlow datagrams are making it there; if they are we're back to log files. So try these steps out and let me know what happens ...

Regards,

SVB