108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM and Procurve giving more than 100%

SOLVED
Go to solution
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I was really hopeful that this would have been fixed in PCM+ 2.0 but it was not to be. :(

What is worse is that the work-around suggested by Paul Harvey is no longer available.
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hi.
So if i folow the tread, it now worth the money to buy PCM Plus if not every options avalable working fine.

I was using TopTools and PCM now. My supervisor told me to analyse if it worth the price. Eck no. It s not cheap to do some little thing more. To much bug... is microsoft having part in HP?!?! LOL

Gona wait till next version befor tinking buying it. I will work with straight PCM till then.

Marc
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Marc,
Well, try not to read too much between the lines. The truth be told, I did not actually buy it as I was testing the beta. I need to walk a tightrope, being careful not to get ostracized from the beta stream for saying the "Emporer has no clothes".

I am still providing feedback to HP and hopefully will work through the issues and shortcomings. Since my last posting, I reconstituted my PCM install as virgin, so time will tell whether this issue still persists. In the meantime, I would like to hear from other 2.0 users that may be experiencing this issue.

As for customers voting with their wallet, it was a comment in a moment of frustration. I realize it is a catch 22... too few customers means less invested in the product. Let us hope that the voice of paying customers is heard.
Steve Britt
Respected Contributor

Hi folks,

I am the PCM traffic architect. I can assure you that we are aware that Traffic Monitor could adapt better to topological and configuration changes, and that this is a longstanding issue (since the TopTools Traffic Monitor) that we definitely intend to address in upcoming PCM releases. I don't intend to be vague with that statement, but we are subject to the same resource and schedule limitations as all of you probably are and so I can't state definitively that such issues will be addressed with 100% certaintly in a given release - but please believe me when I say we know that there are quirks that need to be fixed and that we'll do our best to fix 'em.

I believe I can also safely say, Les, that you will never be ostracized from the PCM beta stream for telling us that "the Emporer has no clothes". While it's true that there isn't a ton of positive chatter that occurs on this forum, that's simply not what the forum is for and so we don't expect lots of pats on the back here. There are a number of us in the ProCurve factory that scan this forum and respond when we believe it will be helpful, including our "official" support folks, and thus I would really like to encourage you all to keep the conversations flowing.

I view issues like this one as useful feedback - obviously there is something here that needs fixing. And the more people that chime in on an issue the higher it raises the priority of that issue for us. As I disclaimed above I cannot guarantee that something will get fixed just because people are clamoring for it here, but the PCM team absolutely uses this kind of feedback as a means of shaping our priorities.

Regards,

Steve
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Steve, for the feedback. I have been submitting enhancement requests to HP Division and lately sending suggestions directly to the beta stream. One never knows how they are received and whether they get on the to-do list. It is of course, nice to see some aspect of one's suggestions make it into the next version.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Well... I re-opened the issue with NetHelp, hoping to get at least a decent work-around but to no avail. The only work-around on record with them is to delete the switch from PCM+ and have it rediscover and then reconfigure the Traffic Monitor which IMHO is too drastic.

The simpler work around that Paul mentioned no longer works since PCM2 went to a MySQL database. Does anyone have a workaround that does not require the switch be deleted?

Come on HP, can we kick this up a notch?
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

A bit of an update...
I was told this will not be fixed in the pending 2.1 and to quote someone at HP, "This fix will be discussed and will be under investigation for PCM 3.0 (expected late next fall)".

I can connect to the MySQL DB with MyODBC and MS Access, and I can view but cannot edit the port speed entries as I could in 1.6.

Has anyone been able to get further than I could?