6433 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM - cant update switch software

Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

PCM - cant update switch software

HI

I am trying to update a new 2650 J4899B to latest firmware using PCM. I recall that the B switches needed to have a username and password in order for them to update. this looks fine.
I recently moved PCM to a 2003 server. I am getting a connection failed to the tftp server.
if I try to copy run top tftp x.x.x.x comunication also fails. Is there any way of checking to ensure tftp is running on the server. I understood it was part of the PCM install.

thanks
Ron
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Do you have 2 NICs in this server (multi-homed)? Sometimes the TFTP service gets bound to the wrong NIC.

You can bind it to the correct NIC by changing the commipaddr.txt file.

Refer to the getting started guide for more info on this:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59908849-1105.pdf

Otherwise I've found the program TCPView very helpful in tracking down used ports to processes:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx
Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Matt,

Indeed there are two NICs on this server, so I added the IP address to the config file. still no good. I had a look at tcp view and its process tftp is on DNS port servername.ltai.ie but no listining state is diplayed. Altirs has a tftp server installed on the same server. I had been stopping this server but this may be the cause. Do you know if two tftp servers can run on the same server. probally not.

Ron
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Yep, PCM won't play well with anything else that also uses the TFTP port. If you stop the Altiris services and then restart the PCM Services, it should take ownership of that port and start working properly. Altiris will then of course not work properly..

It's a good idea to run PCM on its own server.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

P.S. Don't forget to assign points to any replies you receive.
Ronnie Hamilton_1
Frequent Advisor

No worries for the points ,

wasent putting the config file in the server folder , when I put it there it bound the tftp port to my 0 card

cheers
ROn