1752355 Members
5432 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM discovering SNMPv3 devices as unknown

Vince Butler
Advisor

PCM discovering SNMPv3 devices as unknown

I'm running PCM+ 3.22 Update 6. All my switches are configured for SNMPv3 and SSH only (SNMPv2 and Telnet are disabled). The release notes for Update 6 state the following under Software Fixes:

SNMPv3 Devices (PR_1000797500) тАФ SNMPv3 devices are incorrectly added to Unknown folder.

Despite this fix, all my ProCurve switches are getting discovered in the Unknown folder. After installing the update I deleted all the unknown devices and restarted discovery, only to have them all show up under unknown again. However, if I use the manual discovery wizard on one of these devices it is discovered correctly, so the switch configuration must be correct. I have hundreds of ProCurve switches and access points, so I don't want to have to manually discover them all.

As a sidenote, I've noticed that when manually discovering devices it always sets telnet as the default CLI mode in PCM instead of SSH. To correct, I go to 'Communication Parameters in PCM' for the device, CLI settings, and on the CLI mode page I just uncheck 'Use PCM defaults' then check it again. After that the test succeeds. Not sure if it's related or just a separate bug but I thought I should include it...
2 REPLIES 2
Vince Butler
Advisor

Nevermind I guess, looks like I accidentally fixed it. I went into the Device Access preferences and re-applied the SNMPv2 read and write communities. After applying those settings the switches started discovering correctly, and when I check the PCM communication parameters on the newly-discovered switches they are correctly set for SSH and SNMPv3.

Go figure.
Vince Butler
Advisor

Previous post was the solution.