Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCM+ not scanning config

David B. P.
Advisor

PCM+ not scanning config

Hello,
I have a problem with PCM+. I'm testing this software and everything seems to work fine, all the switches has been automatically discovered, I can see the network map (even a map per vlan), port info, device logs, vlans... However the PCM+ is unable to scan the switches configuration. I have tested the communication parameters in PCM and everything is OK.

The PCM+ is on a different subnet than the switches, however I am sure is not a firewall problem because I have opened the switches subnet to the PCM+ server. Another thing is that all the switches are on the same stack (I don't know if this is important).
8 REPLIES
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: PCM+ not scanning config

When you telnet to the switches, does it take you straigh to the CLI or the Menu? If it takes you to the Menu, then this will most likely be your problem. To fix it, from the CLI run 'setup' and change it so that it defaults back to CLI.
Scott Gulland
Occasional Advisor

Do you see any kind of Configuration Manager failure message in the event brower log? For example, a scan timeout.
Lei.Ma
Frequent Advisor

did you confirm you have configed the snmp community unrestricted ?
i don't konw the really cause,try to config snmp community "public" unrestricted

ray ma
David B. P.
Advisor

The Default option is to enter in the CLI.

The error is "Device scan failed. Reason = timeout". I have also tried to increase the timeout times but it didn't worked.

About the snmp community, I have the public community as operator unrestricted and another community as manager unrestricted. I don't think this is the problem because if I sniff the traffic I can see that it is using the manager community and I can see a Read Request (TFTP).
David B. P.
Advisor

Matt, I've tried to activate the tftp server on one of the switches (a 2848) as you explain in the next thread:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1023792

But this didn't worked (the linux box is on the same subnet):

# snmpset -v2c -c public 10.0.188.12 .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.7.1.5.6.0 i 2
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.11.2.14.11.5.1.7.1.5.6.0 = INTEGER: 2
# tftp 10.0.188.12
tftp> get startup-config
Transfer timed out.

I've tested the kiwi cattools on the PCM+ host and worked fine (located on a different subnet).
David B. P.
Advisor

Finally I've managed to solve this issue myself. I didn't know that I had a NAT between my PCM+ server and the switches subnet. Because the switches start a new connection to send the config the router didn't know where to send the packets (it were not related to the connection that established the NAT at the beginning). I've deleted the NAT and now everything works as expected.

Thank you for your answers!
David B. P.
Advisor

I found the solution, read my last comment in this thread.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Well done! That could have taken a while to figure out if we'd kept on going at it this way.