108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCM+ version 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

PCM+ version 2

I've just downloaded PCM version 2. I have a license for PCM+ 1.6. If I install PCM 2 will my license work? We've only had 1.6 for a few months and I think it would be unfair for HP to charge me for another licence key!
3 REPLIES 3
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Your 1.6 license will not work for 2.0 but I cannot speak for the unfairness.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/j8991-b0200.htm

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/PCM2-0-Release-Notes.htm

I tried installing 2.0 over top of 1.6 which was an in-place upgrade to 1.5 version. The in-place upgrade to 2.0 did not go well and I ended up scrubbing all traces of PCM from the box and installing as a reconstituted virgin. Of course YMMV.

I would suggest you make a full backup of your system in case you decide it is not worth the price. You cannot revert to 1.6 after an in-place upgrade.

I am still wondering "where is the beef?" in this 2.0 version. Much of the bugs that I encountered in 1.6 seem to still exist and new ones introduced. In all fairness, there are a few new features that I have not tried as they do not appeal to me but others may like them. Read the "New Features" section in the Release Notes link I provided. If they do not appeal to you, then you might want to wait for 2.1 to be released.
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Les; I guess I'll have to buy the upgrade. There are two features I do like; being able to export lists of switches in csv format, and also being also to find out which switch port an IP number is connected to will be useful.

Drew
Drew_38
Frequent Advisor

PCM computer says no.