5364 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PIM problem in 5308xl

Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

PIM problem in 5308xl

Hi all,
I am using PIM-DM in my 5308xl and I receive this message from time to time.
Does anybody know what to make of it? I'm running E.09.22 software.

PIM: Failed alloc of HW Flow for flow 239.1.1.10, 172.16.3.10(24)

Regards,
Marcus
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

I was not able to find this in our database a s a known issue. Do you have any further input on this?
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Jeff,
What i can tell you is that we currnetly receive 46 igmp groups via pim-dm from my 9308m.

From time to time i get this syslog message and is unable to connect to the specific group. A reload of the 5300 solves the problem.

I can't see any logic in which groups that are affected.

Hope you can help me with this problem
/Marcus
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

Marcus,

Two reasons I have found could cause the message to be logged:
(1)
If you connect a router with subnet 10.20.30.0/24 to a router with subnet 10.20.40.0/24, and are using multicast and PIM, the router with subnet 10.20.30.0/24 will receive multicast from 10.20.40.0/24. This will result in the following message because the first router can├в t create an entry for a source that it doesn├в t know about.

(2)
You may have consumed all of the h/w
flows allocated for PIM. These flows are dedicated to PIM and not shared with other feat
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Jeff,
Thank you for your reply.
Im not quite sure I understand the first scenario, but there is only two routers involved. The PIM communication isn't passed through a third router.

The problem with hw allocation should not occur with only 47 groups. I think there is a limit above 1000 groups or something.
Is it possible that the hw problem can occur when there is only 47 groups, e.g memory fault?

Regards,
Marcus
Jeff Brownell
Valued Contributor

Marcus,

The limit is not groups but rather flows. The limit is above 1000 (but am not sure of the exact number). A Source-Destination pair uses a flow. Therefore a server sending a group uses a flow; three servers sending the same group consume three flows; one server sending four groups consumes four flows; etc...

If you are certain that you are not using up your flows, then I dont know what else to tell you. I would recommend you open a support call with Procurve to further pusue the issue.

Regards,
Jeff