1751968 Members
4566 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PXE through VLAN

Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

PXE through VLAN

We are trying to make our imaging software work on our network. We have multiple VLAN which work perfertly. Let's say that the client computer is PXE booting in VLAN 2. It waits for the answer of Acronis server in VLAN 3. Nothing is working. If I put the server in VLAN 2, now everything is working.

Here is the configuration of the VLAN 2 and 3:

vlan 2
name "LAB_363"
ip helper-address 172.16.10.16
ip helper-address 172.16.2.70
ip address 10.44.0.254 255.255.0.0
tagged 26-30,32-35,Trk1-Trk2
exit
vlan 3
name "Servers"
untagged 5-25,37-48
ip helper-address 172.16.10.16
ip address 172.16.10.251 255.255.0.0
tagged 26-30,32-35,Trk1-Trk2
exit
dhcp-relay option 82 append

Can you help me to make it work while leaving the server in VLAN 3 and the client in VLAN 2?

Thank You.
7 REPLIES 7
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor
Ryan_G
Frequent Advisor

Hi Yan

I've been through this with Altiris (and had success) and with LANDesk (and failed).

Basically you need to find out a little more information on the protocls and ports that your Acronis server is using for PXE boot and use ip forward-protocol command on those vlans you want to pass the traffic to.

E.g.

vlan 1 ip forward-protocol udp 172.16.10.x tftp
or
vlan 1 ip forward-protocol udp 172.16.10.x 4011
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

Sorry about the delay of replying this post. At the "Servers" VLAN, I added ip forward-protocol udp tftp.

I also tried to add the BOOTP ports 67 & 68 but I receive Port X is invalid.

I use these configurations on 3500-yl with K.13.09 Flash Image.

So, now that I have configured the swithes, I asked my client to use the imaging server and waiting for the results.

Thank You very much.
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

OK here is the status. Now one pc can connect to the Acronis Imaging server. But only one can connect at a time.

Before segmenting the network in VLAN's, this behavior wasn't the case.

Any idea?
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

Updates

All day long, I was going back and forth with the configuration. It seems to work now but I don't have the result I want.

In the Windows DHCP, when I specify Option 66 with my Acronis server IP address and Option 67 with a path to the Image Name, I see that the PC receives the IP address and I get a error while loading the bootfile Image.

If someone have any idea to make this work, feel free to provide your advice. I will leave open this thread a couple of days then close it.

Thank You.
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

Acronis was using multicast and the Premium License had to be installed to enable Multicast Routing.
Yan Henrichon
Frequent Advisor

Acronis was using multicast and the Premium License had to be installed to enable Multicast Routing.