1753529 Members
4817 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pavilion N5270 networking issues

Devon MacIver
Occasional Contributor

Pavilion N5270 networking issues

I have been trying to get my N5270 hooked up to my home network. We are using a LinkSys router, I can connect to the internet fine but do not have access to any other computers on the network. This isnt the first time my laptop has had network issues, we had been using a microsoft switch previously, my room mates could see my computers and files but i could not gain access to their files.

What am I doing wrong?
2 REPLIES 2
Jim Mallett
Honored Contributor

Re: Pavilion N5270 networking issues

It could be quite a few things but here's a few things to start looking into:
- Have they specifically shared out any files/folders/devices? By default shouldn't be much shared unless they specify it.
- I assume you haven't set up a domain, you will want to get all the computers on the same workgroup though. (Right click My Computer, select properties, and click on the Network Identification tab.)
- Is everybody using DHCP? (ie: you are all on the same network and subnet) You can do Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig to check your IP configurations.

Can you see their computers in Network Neighborhood but not access them?
If your using Windows Explorer to access them, I've found it can be flaky at times.
If they have a specific folder shared (ie: Temp), try typing this in Explorer:
\\
Jim
Hindsight is 20/20
Devon MacIver
Occasional Contributor

Re: Pavilion N5270 networking issues

We were able to network the drives in order to get access to everyones computer. So i think everything is all set.