108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Planning small Network

rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Matt.

The install date is now set.

Thanks for all you advice and help in this matter, its a great service.

Best Regards

Roger
rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

Matt,

I'm Back again.

We've just set the switch's in our office for testing prior to installing on site.

We now have a question..let me try and explain.

The Switch's are setup exactly according to your last diagram.

Our ping response time when plugging a latpop in any switch is :
server room 2824 = 1ms
comms room 2824 = 1ms
comms room 2524-1 = between 8 & 13ms
comms room 2524-2 = between 8 & 13ms
comms room 2524-3 = between 8 & 13ms

So, in a nut shell the response time when pinging 2824 is 1ms, however when pinging any of the 2524's its between 8 and 13ms.

We have tried pluging the laptop into each switch however the results are the same.

Can you pleas explain if this is a expected result or do i need to change any settings.

Thanks Matt.

Roger
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Roger,

I would consider that standard behavior, the 2524 CPU isn't as quick as the 2824.

I'm getting under 1ms pinging a 2824, and about 4.5ms pinging a 2524.

On the switches, the task that responds to pings runs at a low priority. Generally it's best to ping between 2 laptops/pc's to test latency.

Matt
rogerp_1
Frequent Advisor

cheers Matt,

We connected up a few pc's and the ping rate was fine.

on another note i have been doing some more reasearch and noticed there is a function under "Spanning Tree Operation " called EDGE.

By default all ports are set to YES, do you suggest for all the ports that connect to another switch's including Truncks etc, i set this item to NO.

Thanks again Matt
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Roger,

It is recommended to set the interconnect ports between switches to NO for edge-port.

It's not critical that you do this, as you can already see spanning-tree is quite adaptive and it quickly learns what paths to block regardless of if they're set to YES or NO.

Matt