108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Please help with printers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Iain Kelso
Occasional Contributor

Please help with printers

Hello, I have done many internet searches and found nothing.

We have a network with a modem/router (Speedstream 6300). Part of the network is 2 jetdirect boxes.

Recently, I had to disable DHCP on the router and assign static ips to the computers in the office (we needed the server to be static for the ftp). The printers were fine after this for a few days, but suddenly yesterday they all disappeared from the network.

The configuration page (hard print out) from the printer hooked up to the jet-direct box says 0.0.0.0 for all the ip info, and "not configured"

I have tried reinstalling the jet-direct software but the printers/boxes are simply not visible, period. Jet-direct trouble shooting is no help, nor is the router troubleshooting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Server is Windows2000-Server, and workstations are XP Pro, router is speedstream 6300.

Boxes are jet-direct 175x and 170x.
4 REPLIES 4
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: Please help with printers

Hi,
I guess you are more luck in printer area. I saw some questions about jetdirect.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Disabling DHCP because one server needs a static IP is overkill. Re-enable DHCP and create a DHCP reservation for the FTP server or hard code the IP.
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what model of jetdirect you have and whether it can be configured by front panel, but if they cannot, you should be able to static arp them in order to telnet or web browse them to configure.
Iain Kelso
Occasional Contributor

I didn't realize that DHCP could be 'on' (at the router) and the workstations/server could still be locked. Re-enabling DHCP immediately solved the problem.

Thank you.