5080 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Polling has stopped

Max Lohrmann
Occasional Contributor

Polling has stopped

Hi,

I'm pretty new to ProCurve Switches, so please bear with me if my question seems silly :)

We have recently started upgrading our network to HP 1700 and 1800 switches. However ProCurve Managers Event logs contain some messages I'm not really sure how to interpret.

1. My logs are spammed with "Polling has started running", followed by "Polling has stopped" (one minute later) Informational messages. Those seem to repeat every five minutes. Is this something I can fix?

2. Sometimes some warnings "Ping Sweep :: Configured Interval too low, you should increase the value" appear, among those often a warning about Port utilization of one of the uplink ports of one of the switches being over 75% which I can hardly imagine (there are only 15 PCs connected which should only produce some Internet traffic). Where can this come from?

Thanks for your help

Max
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

1. You can either change the polling interval, or set PCM to ignore those events:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/faqs/procurve-manager/discovery.htm#disc9

2. Under preferences you can also configure the Ping Sweep interval. I'd leave it as it is.

For the port utilisation issue I believe there is a bug within the 64-bit counters (used on gigabit interfaces) on these switches. I've seen it before myself but didn't follow it up at the time.
Max Lohrmann
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your suggetion.
Unfortunately setting "VT Secondary Discovery or VT Policy, Info. Events" to Ignore did not stop the "Polling has started" messages from appearing.

Also something different I noticed: When I had PCM running in Trial mode it would show the Traffic Overview and Utilization Graphs but after I added the Standard License those did not show up anymore (says "Awaiting Data"). Does PCM Standard not support this feature?
Ralph Bean_2
Trusted Contributor

Max -

Regarding "When I had PCM running in Trial mode it would show the Traffic Overview and Utilization Graphs but after I added the Standard License those did not show up anymore (says "Awaiting Data"). Does PCM Standard not support this feature?"

The paid version of PCM, that is, PCM+, supports everything that the 30-day trial version has.

Auto Update 3 has this fix (I'm excerpting from the Release Note:

"Traffic (PR_1000786699) ├в Traffic Monitor sometimes does not collect statistics or
samples. Symptoms include "Awaiting data"."

Do you have AU3 or later (see www.hp.com/rnd/software/network_management.htm) installed?
Max Lohrmann
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ralph,

thanks for the tip. This bug really sounds like the problem I am experiencing.
But I already have AU4 installed and even after re-discovering all switches there is no change visible.